ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

NWA-TNA Preview & Review for 2/4/04......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Feb 2004, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dre
It's 4:19 Got a Minute?

Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...
Default NWA-TNA Preview & Review for 2/4/04......

*Credit The Wrestling Observer

Quote:
Tonight's line-up:
*Jeff Jarrett vs. ? for the NWA title
*Terry Funk & Sandman vs. Julio Dinero & C.M. Punk
*ICP vs. Glenn Gilberti & David Young
*El Leon vs. Abyss
At the live show, will be both two tag team matches and an eight-man tag featuring the AAA team of Juventud Guerrera, Mr. Aguila, Hector Garza and Abismo Negro against the TNA team of Jerry Lynn, Chris Sabin, Elix Skipper and Sonjay Dutt. If you are attending live, we'd love to get a report. Those three matches, taped before the show, will be airing on next Wednesday's taped show. They should, since all eight are in the building anyway, shoot an angle on the live show to build for next week. For tonight, I'm guessing much of the show will be storyline, since Don Callis has complete control and it should be the old heel General Manager makes things unfair for the babyfaces. Luckily that's a novel approach not done anywhere else these days. Hopefully the Jarrett surprise will be something good

Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2004, 10:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
DC
I've got the power!

DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.
Send a message via MSN to DC

Well i wasn't watching at 8EST when it came on so i will check out the replay at 10:30EST and give my thoughts after that. Jonny Fairplay better get beatdown.
Old 04 Feb 2004, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dre

Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...

*Credit PWTorch.com*
NWA-TNA PPV
FEBRUARY 4, 2003
LIVE FROM NASHVILLE, TENN.

-The show opened with Scott Hudson telling viewers not to steal the PPV because it takes money out of the pockets of wrestlers and announcers. Does anyone involved in these announcements (Erik Watts and Mike Tenay did them in previous weeks) believe it makes a lick of difference? Do they think anyone who uses a pirate box is going to feel bad about taking money away from wrestlers who they perceive make a lot more money than they actually do? I think all it does is draw attention to pirate boxes and to the hapless ability for any legal authority to find and punish pirate box users, thus encouraging more people to seek them out. "Hey, if all they can do is stop me from using it is to plea to my sense of ethics, I'm buying one of those!"

-After clips aired of last week's show, the opening montage aired with a rap from Randy Savage. Then Mike Tenay and Don West introduced the show.

-Jeff Jarrett came to the ring Jonny Fairplay, who was wearing a neckbrace and arm sling. Hey, somebody actually selling a move a week later! The ring was surrounded by TNA wrestlers. Jarrett introduced the "honorable Thomas T. Stenenbaum, Esquire." He came to the ring to Mardi Gras music because his "lawfirm" is based in New Orleans. He announced that effective tonight at 9 p.m., the NWA Board of Directors is disbanding. He said they all turned in their resignations to Bill Behrens and then Behrens resigned also. He said they were considering filing a lawsuit against TNA. NWA referees and black shirted NWA security stood on the stage with the babyfaces. Stenenbaum told them about "breach of contract." He told them they have to comply with new management. Don Callis proudly held up a sign that read "Under New Management." Jarrett told Simon Diamond & Johnny Swinger, Jerry Lynn, and Sonny Siaki that they have to win their matches or be released. He told El Leon he would have to unmask if he lost his match later. Jarrett then said he has a title match later and he doesn't know who it is, but he knows it's not A.J. Styles or D-Lo Brown because Abyss injured them. He said it's not Raven because James Mitchell's men "plucked his feathers" and sent him away. He said whoever it is, he'll walk in the ring the champion and walk out the champion.

Chris Harris spoke up. Jarrett told him he was just a mid-card tag wrestler for life. He said he produced some of the greatest matches in TNA last year. (I don't like when wrestlers talk about match quality rather than wins and losses, since match quality shouldn't matter from a storyline standpoint to a wrestler; wins and losses should.) Harris told Jarrett he and everyone on that stage knew who his opponent was going to be. Jarrett fired back some words and asked him to bring it on. Harris charged the ring. Everyone else followed and the babyfaces cleared the ring of the heels. Tenay bragged that he, too, knew who Jarrett's challenge was going to be. What's next, the return of the New Blood name?

-Hudson interviewed a AAA representative about the America's Cup Tournament. Hudson said if the America's Cup goes south of the border, the celebration in Mexico will be "off the charts."

-A vignette aired on Insane Clown Posse's TNA debut last week and a clip of one of their music videos. A clip aired of Young telling Gilberti he's scared of clowns.

1 -- INSANE CLOWN POSSE vs. GLENN GILBERTI & DAVID YOUNG

Tenay announced that TNA Xplosion syndicated show would be debuting on Friday night's at 10 p.m. ET on Sunshine Network, a large regional sports network available nationally on DirecTV. Shaggy 2 Dope clipped over the top rope onto Gilberti and Young at ringside at 2:00, but didn't make much impact. The chubby Violent J somersaulted over the top rope onto all three at ringside. West declared that seeing Violent J fly over the ropes "was worth the price of admission alone." He must not have gotten the memo banning that phrase from all wrestling announcers' lexicons. Young took control of Shaggy in the ring at 3:00 with stomps and a suplex. West said Young is going to have to face his fear of clowns and deal with it. Gilberti tagged in and whipped Shaggy into the ropes. Shaggy hit the ropes with all the force of an 80 year old with a hernia. That was one of the worst hitting of the ropes I've ever seen, including Day One of Tough Enough. He hit the ropes two more times a minute later and they were only slightly better. Apparently he wants to avoid the bruising the real wrestlers deal with when they get their bodies used to the burns from hitting the ropes with a professional level of intensity. Violent J entered the ring and gave Young a DDT variation for a two count. Violent J executed another DDT variation for another two count. It didn't look good. Young hit Shaggy with the spinebuster out of nowhere. Tenay called Young's spinebuster "famous." Is there really anything associated with Young that could be deemed "famous." I mean, really. VIolent J did a clumsy moonsault and acted like he just did something special. Shaggy followed with a top rope legdrop and scored the pin.

WINNERS: Insane Clown Posse at 6:47.

STAR RATING: DUD -- ICP have a nice ring presence and charisma, and they're athletic, but they're not at a professional level in their execution. Not even close. They look like backyard wrestlers, although that's an insult to better backyard wrestlers. I don't have a problem with ICP winning because if they lost, they'd have nothing left.

-Hudson interviewed Jerry Lynn, Elix Skipper, Sonjay Dutt, and Chris Sabin. Lynn gave a charged up pep talk to his wrestlers. Hudson said the America's Cup is next week.

-A recap aired of Kid Kash's attempts to get various people to sign the loyalty pledge to Jeff Jarrett.

2 -- SONNY SIAKI vs. KID KASH

They opened with a rapid-fire intensity that usually is absent from Siaki's matches. Kash hit a top rope clothesline at 2:00 for a two count. He then applied a wristlock briefly, then went back to throwing punches. Siaki fought back with a release suplex that sent Kash onto his head. Scary looking bump. Siaki charged Kash in the corner, but Kash threw an elbow to blow him. Siaki then knocked Kash off the top rope and Kash bumped hard into the security railing. Kash wrested a chair away from Jeremy Borash, then threw it at Siaki as he came after him at ringside. Sara the Ticket taker (not related to Undertaker) went after Kash with a broom. That gave Siaki a chance to take control of Kash, who begged off once they got into the ring. He tried to call a timeout. I was quite disappointed West didn't say, "There are NO timeouts in wrestling." Kash surprised Siaki with a DDT, then grabbed the broom. Borash yelled at him. Kash swung the broom at him. That gave Siaki a chance to schoolboy him from behind for the pin.

WINNER: Siaki at 5:22 to retain his job in TNA.

STAR RATING: *3/4 -- Nice five minute match.

-Don Callis came out and said because he won his match, he can do anything he wants. "I'm like a Canadian Caesar," he said. Callis told "the old bag" Sara to take tickets and nothing else. He told Borash that his only job is to be a stooge. Hey, I didn't know Callis knew Borash was a stooge? Callis then fired Borash, Sara, and Tiny the Bellringer. Callis then told Siaki that he has a million dollar body, but only a ten cent brain. He told him he knows he eventually will breach his contract. Kash hilariously forced Sara to get away from ringside. Callis said he would fire Siaki next. When Kash entered the ring, Siaki went after him. Then Trinity blindsided Siaki with a roundhouse kick. Kash gave him a low-blow. They continued to stomp away at him. Kash went for a hug with Trinity, but she ducked under him and retreated on her own.

-Hudson interviewed James Storm & Chris Harris. Hudson praised Harris for standing up to the boss. He said, "When you don't stand up, you stand back. When you stand back, you step out. And we're not ready to step out." Hudson asked Harris how they found out who Jarrett's opponent is. He said he knew but couldn't reveal why. Jarrett entered the scene. They had a pullapart brawl.

-Rick Michaels came out to take over Borash's duties at ringside. Tenay said Michaels was director of public relations, but would take over as ring announcer. He sounded good.

3 -- EL LEON vs. ABYSS

Tenay and West talked about how if Leon lost, he'd have to unmask and reveal to the world that nobody recognizes him without his mask. Leon clotheslined Abyss over the top rope to the floor at 1:00, then flip-dived onto Abyss at ringside. He played the crowd as Tenay touted his X Division skills. Abyss set up a table at ringside, but Leon attacked him. Abyss gave Leon a Russian leg sweep on the floor. They fought back into the ring where Abyss rammed Leon through the turnbuckles and into the ringpost. They continued to fight back and forth, exchanging offensive stretches. At 7:30 Abyss hit his Black Hole slam, but rather than go for the pin, he went for Leon's mask. A.J. Styles ran out and attacked Abyss. Abyss fought back with a chokeslam attempt, but Leon made the save.

WINNER: Abyss at 7:37 via DQ due to Styles interference.

STAR RATING: ** -- Solid big man action. Bad finish.

-Styles demanded a title shot. Callis came out and said he'd give him the title match he wanted, but not a World Title match. He said it would be a tag title match with his his partner being Abyss. Styles wasn't pleased.

-Hudson interviewed Sandman who bashed a beer can across his forehead drawing blood. He said if fans think he is hardcore, he wanted to introduce fans to the man who introduced him to hardcore. Terry Funk walked in and cut a promo about his horse being constipated half the time, but needing a little more insanity in his life. Funk still has a presence about him.

4 -- SANDMAN & TERRY FUNK vs. C.M. PUNK & JULIO DINERO (w/James Mitchell)

The Gathering attacked Sandman at ringside just as Funk was coming out. They brawled around ringside for a minute. At 3:00 the Gathering gave Funk a spike piledriver, but Funk kicked out. Sandman staggered around ringside in a daze as the Gathering continued to work over Funk in the ring. A chant of "Terry Funk, Terry Funk" broke out. Funk ducked out of the path of Julio as he leaped off the top rope. Dinero hit Punk instead. Funk then began hitting Dinero at ringside with a cane as Sandman beat on Punk in the ring. The Gathering came back and finished off Sandman with a sideslam off the ropes through a chair.

WINNERS: The Gathering at 5:03.

STAR RATING: * -- Not much to it. A short intense brawl that was okay, but they didn't exactly put Funk in any position to have a showcase moment for someone of his stature.

-Tenay did a sitdown interview with Diamond & Swinger. Tenay asked them which of them signed the loyalty agreement. Again, Tenay asked the question as if Gilberti accusation must be true, which make Tenay look so gullible and stupid. Sure enough, Diamond pointed it out by asking why Tenay of all people is giving credibility to Gilberti. Diamond said Gilberti was a glory hound and always tried to steal their thunder when they were together. He said Gilberti is a liar and at the end of the day every single time it wa all about Gilberti. Swinger said he and Swinger were tag partners and friends long before TNA. He said he trusts Diamond like a brother. He said he was his best man at his wedding. He said he'd do anything for him and would never do anything to hurt him. He said their bond cannot be broken. Fairplay walked in and said, "I smell a liar." He bragged about telling the greatest lie in the history of television. Fairplay told them that to be a man, they should fess up to the lie afterward. Diamond grabbed him by his bad arm and dropped him to the ground.

-Hudson interviewed Styles. He said he might be able to beat Jarrett and Callis at their own game and become half of the tag team champions.

5 -- THE REDSHIRTED SECURITY (Kevin Northcutt & Legend) vs. A.J. STYLES & ABYSS

As the match began, El Leon came out and resumed his fight with Abyss. They brawled to the back. Styles then worked over both Red Shirts as on his own, including some flying moves at ringside. They did a very choreographed looking awkward sequence where Styles ended up moonsault off of one of the Redshirts backs onto the other. West said Northcutt was planning to debut a new move, the Northcutt Driver, during this match. The Redshirts took control at 3:00. They beat on Styles until 9:00, setting up a valiant comeback. He began the comeback with a spin wheel kick on Legend followed by a dropkick on Northcutt. Styles then gave both a DDT at once. Northcutt gave Styles a low kick as the ref was distracted by Legend. Northcutt then gave Styles his new Northcutt Driver, which looked pretty cool and relatively safe (i.e. not reckless). Styles, though, kicked out of it at 11:00. It's tough to debut a new finisher in a two-on-one match and have it not work. Styles then rolled up Northcutt after Harris distracted him and scored the pin. Tenay accentuated that the Redshirts reign lasted just one week.

WINNER: Styles & Abyss at 11:40 to capture the NWA Tag Team Titles.

STAR RATING: **

-Clips aired of mainstream media attention given to Brian Ulracher, including an ESPN clip. He said in an interview that wrestling is too hard for him and after football he'll stick with golf. He said unlike football players who wear pads, wrestlers hit the mat hard with no protection. It was classy of Urlacher to put over wrestling like that. It's true, too, although the interviewer seemed a bit perplexed at Urlacher's claim that fake wrestling was harder than real football. It's amazing that the predetermined nature of matches blinds mainstream sports snobs to the obvious physical demands of partaking in pro wrestling match performances.

-Tenay touted all of the mainstream media attention they received last week on TV and radio. West held up a National Enquirer showing Jonny Fairplay's article. West touted that NWATNA.com was receiving a million hits a week. Then they plugged next week's America's Cup.

-Hudson interviewed the Insane Clown Posse. Violent J bragged about how they took things so seriously, they wore spandex. He dropped his jeans to prove it. He bragged about doing a flip outside the ring, as if that made him an official wrestler. Shaggy then said he may not know how to wrestle, but he knows how to throw fists. Violent J said they'll face whoever Jarrett throws their way next week.

-Erik Watts stepped into the ring and said he may not be the Director of Authority anymore, but now he's a wrestler. He said he is going to make Callis and Jarrett pay. He said he wanted to face them in the ring and he sat down on a chair to wait for them. Goldy Locks walked out instead. She said she wanted to talk to him. She took off his sunglasses and said she wanted to introduce him to Feminism 101. He wanted to introduce her to the term "I'm sorry." She blamed Watts for stealing her spotlight and ordering her to stay in the back when the people wanted to see her. She said he never said thank you for making him feel special and so good about himself. She grabbed her crotch and said she made him feel like a man even when she'd be much more satisfied pleasing herself. She said he never stood up for himself. She said she wasn't always honest with him. She said last Tuesday night she faked it. She said in fact she faked it every time. She gave us an example of what she sounds like when she's faking it. Watts then forced a kiss on her, then lifted her for a chokeslam. Jarrett attacked Watts from behind. Then Dustin Rhodes made the save, prompting the start of their title match.

6 -- JEFF JARRETT vs. DUSTIN RHODES -- NWA World Hvt. Title match

Hey, TNA came through with a thoroughly worthy surprise opponent for the main event slot. It even fits considering Dusty Rhodes's frequent involvement in TNA. This will help rebuild some goodwill with viewers that when TNA advertises a surprise, they might deliver someone worthwhile. They brawled into the crowd and up to the balcony. The Red Shirts interfered, but Dustin fought them off. Then Styles frog splashed Jarrett, but Jarrett managed to kick out. Dustin threw Jarrett into the ref. Meanwhile, Abyss and Styles brawled on the rampway. Dustin set up Jarrett for Shattered Dreams. Dustin worked the crowd, then gave him a kick. The Naturals then attacked Dustin with powder and a chairshot leading to Jarrett's cover and three count.

WINNER: Jarrett.

STAR RATING: *3/4 -- A lot of ga ga to distract from the lack of sustained in-ring action or actual bumps, but entertaining, nonstop ga ga.

-As Jarrett celebrated with the Red Shirts, Tenay told Jarrett he just found out that as their final act before 9 p.m. central tonight, are going to name a new NWA Director of Authority. That was the cliffhanger for the show's closing. They did a bad job promoting next week's America's Cup.

Old 04 Feb 2004, 11:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
HHHater 4 Life

BADMAN(RAVEN) is on a distinguished road

DUSTIN RHODES ??????

what gimmick did he use???

Seven or The American Nightmare???

BADMAN(RAVEN) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2004, 01:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
DC
I've got the power!

DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.
Send a message via MSN to DC

Rhodes was just Dustin Rhodes, I think he is going back to being the Lonestar...anyway I wasn't too thrilled with the first hour, just talk and the fuckin ICP...good grief, haven't TNA learned that these guys only bring in the Juggalo fans which in turn make the other fans tune out..All you are doing is substituting fans...They don't add they just replace no big gainer...Anyway after watching some horrible wrasslin..we finally got to see AJ win the tag titles with Abyss..WTF..you knew that would happen. Oh and this new DOA better not be Piper..It better be someone totally unexpected..that is all.
Old 05 Feb 2004, 04:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dre

It is pretty painful to have to listen to Pipper talk on the mic. Maybe Dustin will be able to regain some respect in NWA. Maybe Russo will get fired and there will be less talking. These storylines are more sorry then WWE's right to be blantently honest.......

Old 09 Feb 2004, 03:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
TR(UTH)IPLE H

^Vince Russo isn't doing the booking, Dutch Mantel is. When Russo was booking, the show was actually better.
Old 09 Feb 2004, 03:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
Dre

I'm pretty sure Russo is back, and doing some booking again and with him back the talking has incressed double. Personally I would rather see everybody cleaned the hell out back, Jarrett only in the back without that title and some fucking wrestling, and not David Kash beating up tickets hoes, but what the fuck can you do. btw Dutch Mantel has to be bipolar, I've never seen such a loon he truly is a moron....