ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Wrestling > General Wrestling

General Wrestling Any non-WWE/TNA wrestling discussion goes in here. This includes wrestling history.

The generation gap in wrestling.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jan 2004, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer
Default The generation gap in wrestling.....

Slash, if you don't think this belongs here, you can move it......

i'd like to know what causes you to watch wrestling.....i believe that one of the reasons wrestling has changed so much to the spot style that we have today is because of the fact that there is a generation gap or change.....

wrestling in general is supposed to catch a generation of 14-35 year old males.....they constantly change to stay with that age group's habits and likes/dislikes.....

i am 30 now, so i am close to the top of the bracket.....i believe that is why i am a bigger fan of the pure wrestling than the gimmicks.....and there are fewer people younger than i am who are interested as much in the "pure" wrestling.....a lot of you guys are, i know, but what i really want to know is this.....

has the generation as a whole become so disinterested in wrestling storylines that they solely want entertainment?.....do you watch wrestling because of T&A, or do you watch because they wrestle?.....do you want a five minute match everytime so the drama isn't in the ring, rather in a drama tv setting.....

post away!.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2004, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Don Killuminati

Slash will become famous soon enough

Oh Dear God No OEO, You're One Of My Best Posters, Post Whatever The Hell You Want...

I Am A Big Believer That Society As A Whole Is Able To Relegate The Natural Course Of Wrestling As It Evolves...Look At The Days Of Lou Thez, Who Were Wrestling Fans At The Time, Men And Women In Their 30's And 40's...This Was Looked Upon As A Sport Basically...When The 80's Rolled Around, Globalization Was In The Midst, Vince Was Able To Utilize This And Shoot The WWF Into The Stratusphere...Soon Wrestling Was
Looked Upon As An Entity, Not Just Wrestling...Toys, Albums, TV Shows, This Wasn't "Wrestling" Anymore...Look At Another "Sport" At The Time, Basket-Ball...With Globalization, A Person Like Michael Jordan Was Able To Transcend The Sport, Now The Shoes The Player Wore Were Just As Important As How Many Points He Scored...

America Was Livin' In A Time Of Excess And Prosperous Wealth...That Is Why Such Insanely "Cartoonish" Characters And Storylines Could Succeed...We As Fans Could Accept This, Because We As A Society Were Livin' The Good Life...It's Not Necessarily Age, I Mean When The Market Crashed, Coupled With The L.A. Riots, Rodney King Beatin, Iraq War...A LongThat Time Period Of 4 Or 5 Years In The 80's Turnin' Into The 90's, Shit Had Changed... Hogan Hulkin'Up Wouldn't Cut It Anymore...Wrestling Hit A Dead End, One It Didn't Get Out Of Until '97...

The Attitude Era Was Able To Garner Numerous Amount Of Fans And Shoot Wrestling Back Into The Spotlight It Hadn't Seen In Almost A Decade...How Did This Occur, Vince Simply Catered To Societies Wants And Needs; Tits And Ass, Swearin', Edgy Angles, More Tits And Ass...Wrestlin' Fans Never Came Back...We Never Really Returned, Or We May Have Never Left... We Were Always There, I Mean In The 80's...Many Fans Were Just Common Spectators Who Thought Hogan Was Hella Cool...They Never Really Cared Macho Man Used To Wrestle In The AWA, They Cared About The Love Relationship Between Miss. Elizabeth And Savage...So This Shows At Times When Wrestling Was Most Popular, It Wasn't The Wrestling Causin' This...

The Fact Is Wrestling Caters To A Certain Demogrpahic Of A Time Period...In The 30's, 40's And 50's, Wrestling Was Almost Stoic...In The 80's...America Was Looked Upon As A Large Household, Where Family Values And Messages Were Stresed, In The 90's...It Seemed This Hell Raisin', Jerry Springer Attitude Reigned Supreme

To Answer Your Question, Each And Any Generation That Ever Contributed To Wrestlin' Spike In Cultural Popularity Was Never Interested In Wrestling...Never...It Was About A Show, And Havin' Fun...Those Who watch Now Want What You Want, Wrestling...But We Are Such A Small Consensus That They Don't Care And Still Want To Cater To That Audience That Can Once Again Give Them Their Ratings...
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2004, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Oeo
Oh, you didn't know?

Oeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of FamerOeo is a PWF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface
Oh Dear God No OEO, You're One Of My Best Posters, Post Whatever The Hell You Want......
appreciate that, Slashhh.....and excellent response.....

anybody else?.....

Maybe someone swapped your keyboard with Toof's. His always seemed broken too.
Oeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2004, 05:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
....Bang

Dante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of Famer

Well I know where you guys are coming from, I being a young watcher I like being entertained so if they includes Backstage Promos, Funny Gimmicks and what no I'll stay tune, Truth be told I'd Rather see Shone O Mac jump off a 70 tower then watch a Storm vs Rico Match, (Not the Gay Gimmick Rico but he does kinda entertain me in a sick and funny way), I can understand that your taste in Wrestling has evolved beyond the point where every mind gobbing spot turns your head to watch but I do and I enjoy it at times. Sure I enjoy these technical Matches Between the likes of Beniot and Angle but I need more as a fan.

Thanks for Listening.....
Old 10 Jan 2004, 09:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC

I'm only two years younger than you, oeo so I came up with basically the same stuff you did in (what was then) WWF. Speaking to Senor Montana's comment, no I didn't really care that Savage was from AWA...AWA didn't get shown in my city on any kind of regular basis, although NWA did.

I did care that Savage was probably the best at cutting promos in WWF at that time. At the lunch table at school noone would do an impression of Hogan's promos, but we'd all say: "I'm the Machoooo Meeaaaan Raaandy Savage, diggit!! I WILL SURVIVE!! Elizabeth...DOWN THAT AISLE!!" He was UberCool, if a little coked out, but still UberCool.

Speaking to oeo's take, honestly after my freshman year in high school I quit watching wrestling. It had a lot to do with Ricky Steamboat hitting the ring in that moronic dragon costume, as well as Tito Santana coming down dressed like a bullfighter (those matadors dress like pussies).

I came back after about three and a half to four years later. I watched on an intermittent basis in my time off...saw a couple of PPVs and the like, but when I came back it was the very start of the Attitude era. I gotta tell you that I liked where wrestling was headed.

I was away at college, getting ass on the regular, involved in college sports and a fraternity...and all that trash talk appealed to me. It was at times mirroring my life. A guy goes out there, talks a lot of shit, beats some dude down and whoa!! There's the hot chick in a 2 piece! Okay, maybe that wasn't an exact mirror, but back then, I talked crazy shit, beat my share of people down and scored often enough to refine my appreciation for 2 pieces...they're best when crumpled on the floor next to the bed.

I like the drama better. I remember going to my very first live WWF show and the Can Am Connection was in ring with the Hart Foundation. They were working holds and hip tosses and irish whip reversals...and then it came. From the rafters came the chant "Boooo-ring! Booooo-ring!" Well it was just a matter of time before they delivered the Hart Attack and ended it, but after a while, I started to agree with that sentiment...slightly.

On the Monday night show with Gorilla and The Weasel, I remember having to change the channels back and forth because Barry Horowitz and Mike Sharpe were in this 25 minute armbar marathon of a match, and I didn't give a rat's ass about either of them. I referred to them at the time as boring schmucks because I didn't know what the term "jobber" meant. Thank God we had remote controls then (not everyone did at that time).

Anyway, I enjoy the drama a bit more. I know it's fake, why not make it interesting?? Anyway, that's all IMO.

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
The Glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jan 2004, 11:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wannabe Gothic Fairy

Bloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster everBloodice is the absolute WORST poster ever

I grew up in the era of the awa, mid-south, cwf, world class, nwa, wwf, pnw, gwf and uswa. The fact is wrestling was wrestling now and it was always a mystique of who would go where and when and who they'd replace. Wrestling was always a shock value, wrestlers holding titles for a minium of 9 months to a year and a half and you'd always wonder when and to who they'd lose it to. Wrestling shows used to cut off at the end of a big angle and leave you hungering for next weeks show in suspense. That is what hooked me on wrestling, now outside of roh, czw, mlw, japan, lucha and tna I don't care. WWE bores me.
Bloodice is offline   Reply With Quote