ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Games & Technology

Games & Technology Want the latest news and cheats of your favorite game? Wanna talk about upcoming games? Wanna talk about your favorite comics, or toys and other hobbies?

MS Extends Warranty to 3 years for Red Ring of Death.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2007, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC
Default MS Extends Warranty to 3 years for Red Ring of Death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moore
Open Letter From Peter Moore
To our Xbox Community:

You've spoken, and we’ve heard you. Good service and a good customer experience are areas of the business that we care deeply about. And frankly, we've not been doing a good enough job.

Some of you have expressed frustration with the customer experiences you have had with Xbox 360; frustration with having to return your console for service after receiving the general hardware error message on the console.

The majority of customers who own Xbox 360 consoles have had a terrific experience from their first day, and continue to, day in and day out. But when anyone questions the reliability of our product, or our commitment to our customers, it's something I take very seriously.

We have been following this issue closely, and with on-going testing have identified several factors that can cause a general hardware failure indicated by three flashing red lights on the console. To address this issue, and as part of our ongoing work, we have already made certain improvements to the console.

We are also implementing some important policy changes intended to keep you in the game, worry-free.

As of today, all Xbox 360 consoles are covered by an enhanced warranty program to address specifically the general hardware failures indicated by the three flashing red lights on the console. This applies to new and previously-sold consoles. While we will still have a general one year console warranty (two years in some countries), we are announcing today a three-year warranty that covers any console that displays a three flashing red lights error message. If a customer has an issue indicated by the three flashing red lights, Microsoft will repair the console free of charge—including shipping—for three years from the console’s purchase date. We will also retroactively reimburse any of you who paid for repairs related to problems indicated by this error message in the past. In doing so, Microsoft stands behind its products and takes responsibility to ensure that every Xbox 360 console owner continues to have a fantastic gaming experience.

If we have let any of you down in the experience you have had with your Xbox 360, we sincerely apologize. We are taking responsibility and are making these changes to ensure that every Xbox 360 owner continues to have a great experience.

This will take a few days to roll out globally, and I appreciate your continued patience as we launch this program. I've posted an FAQ that should address some additional questions, and we'll update it over the next few days.

I want to thank you, on behalf of all us at Microsoft, for your loyalty.
xbox.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox.com
Xbox 360 Warranty Coverage Expanded
REDMOND, Wash. — July 5, 2007 —
Microsoft Corp. today announced that it will expand its global Xbox 360™ warranty coverage. Any Xbox 360 customer who experiences a general hardware failure indicated by three flashing red lights will now be covered by a three year warranty from date of purchase. All other existing Xbox 360 warranty policies remain in place.

As a result of what Microsoft views as an unacceptable number of repairs to Xbox 360 consoles, the company conducted extensive investigations into potential sources of general hardware failures. Having identified a number of factors which can cause general hardware failures indicated by three red flashing lights on the console, Microsoft has made improvements to the console and is enhancing its Xbox 360 warranty policy for existing and new customers.

Microsoft stands behind its products and is taking responsibility to repair or replace any Xbox 360 console that experiences the “three flashing red lights” error message within three years from time of purchase free of charge, including shipping costs. Microsoft will take a $1.05 billion to $1.15 billion pre-tax charge to earnings for the quarter ended June 30, 2007 for anticipated costs under its current and enhanced Xbox 360 policies.

"The majority of Xbox 360 owners are having a great experience with their console and have from day one. But, this problem has caused frustration for some of our customers and for that, we sincerely apologize," said Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft’s Entertainment & Devices Division. "We value our community tremendously and look at this as an investment in our customer base. We look forward to great things to come."

For any customer who has previously paid for repair expenses related to the three flashing lights error message on the Xbox 360 console, Microsoft will retroactively reimburse them.

At 2:30 p.m. PDT today, Microsoft will hold a teleconference for financial analysts and investors with Robbie Bach, president of Entertainment and Devices, Chris Liddell, senior vice president and chief financial officer, and Frank Brod, corporate vice president and chief accounting officer to discuss today’s announcement. To participate, U.S. residents can dial +1-888-459-9165, and those outside the United States can dial +1-773-799-3324. The passcode is MSFT. The call will be available for playback beginning approximately one hour after the conclusion of the call through 5 p.m. PDT on Thursday, July 12. To access the playback, U.S. residents can dial +1-866-363-4143, and those outside the United States can dial +1-203-369-0210. An audio webcast of the conference call will also be made available at the Investor Relations site at http://www.microsoft.com/msft.

Xbox 360 customers with questions should visit www.xbox.com.

About Microsoft
Founded in 1975, Microsoft (NASDAQ “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.
xbox.com

This is good news. It means that they've pinpointed the problem and are fixing it.

Thoughts?
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jul 2007, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

My thoughts?

This is good news. It means that they've pinpointed the problem and are fixing it. I still hope I survive unscathed.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jul 2007, 05:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
My thoughts?

This is good news. It means that they've pinpointed the problem and are fixing it. I still hope I survive unscathed.
Don't we all
Old 05 Jul 2007, 05:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by STICK
Don't we all
hurry back. I'm getting better at GOW

But I am still humbled by Jason and his crew

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 05 Jul 2007, 05:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo

I'm trying to but they're taking fucking forever

The repair center received my console LAST Wednesday. They've had more than a full week to fix it and still haven't. I've called every other day since like Saturday or some shit Last night when I called, the guy said it takes 7-10 days to fix the consoles, but he thinks tat mine has been repaired and is in the process of being to delivered to me. There's no tracking info they can give me though, which tells me he didn't know what the fuck he was talking about
Old 05 Jul 2007, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.
Send a message via MSN to Jason Send a message via Yahoo to Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo

You were kicking ass the other night I see you've been practicing with the sniper rifle.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jul 2007, 08:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

They must be getting SWAMPED with calls right now from customers who paid for repairs and are enquiring about refunds. I've been on hold for about 15 minutes. I guess I should try to call back later tonight
Old 05 Jul 2007, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC

A BILLION dollars to resolve these issues.

I guess PS3's delay wasn't really such a bad thing after all...

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
The Glue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2007, 01:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
A-Boooooooo~!™

Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.
Send a message via MSN to Trevelbond

At least they're owning up to their faulty product.

Most companies would tell you to go screw.
Trevelbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2007, 02:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glue
A BILLION dollars to resolve these issues.

I guess PS3's delay wasn't really such a bad thing after all...

Late.
Delay or no delay, there still aren't enough games that justify a $600 purchase
Old 06 Jul 2007, 03:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Dewsaw.com live NBA

G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.G O D is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.
Send a message via MSN to G O D Send a message via Yahoo to G O D

Wii's sucess has really crushed sonys hopes of making any sort of money soon from the PS3....its only a question of how many losses continue to compile for sony's gaming division. Thankfully for them sales in all other regions of business for them improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyprotectiongroup
Sony has confirmed that there will be a pice cut right after ther press event at E3. Big Retailers will cut the price down to $499. Yet again the Blu-Ray machine hasa gone even cheaper, this must be a response to the 360 Elite or Microsoft possibly cutting the price on their console. So if you were on planning getting a PS3, nows your time to get one. Usually Sony would wait a year or later to cut the price on their consoles
yet a bigger loss per unit.

Last edited by G O D; 06 Jul 2007 at 03:13 AM.
G O D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2007, 10:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G O D
Wii's sucess has really crushed sonys hopes of making any sort of money soon from the PS3....its only a question of how many losses continue to compile for sony's gaming division. Thankfully for them sales in all other regions of business for them improved.

yet a bigger loss per unit.
I could be convinced to spend 500 for one...maybe...

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 06 Jul 2007, 10:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by STICK
Delay or no delay, there still aren't enough games that justify a $600 purchase
Please. The amount of time I spend on PS2, that would be a pretty good investment for myself, personally.

I have a PS2 because I needed a reason to stop going to bars. Over the years I've gotten more than my money's worth of entertainment out of the PS2 when you consider how much more dangerous and honestly expensive a habit of hitting the bars five to six days and/or nights a week.

So yeah. I can give my PS2 to my kids and they can just enjoy that shit in the living room while I'm in my finished basement blowing shit up on my PS3.

I still haven't really made a decision though. I think I may rent one of each from like Rent A Center or something for a couple of months at a time.

I'm just going to leave it to the one that's better for me.

I'm looking for more than just games and gameplay though. These consoles certainly are a large step up in pricepoint, and for that I'd think more than just games should be a part of the package.

For fuck's sake, PSP has about five or six functions, as does the iPhone.

I've got to see what's the best overall package. However it's mainly your issues with 360 and the fact that so many other people have similar issues to the point where it's costing MS over a B.

Fo real.

Avg 360 retail price? $399??

Divide a 399 dollars into a billion. You get 2,506,265

So 2.5 Million units worth of repairs? Out of 12 or 13 Million users?

And if you take into account the fact that MS is prolly taking a loss of some sort on the price of the console itself and thereby that number's not totally accurate, then fine.

The number's still astronomical and greater than 15% and actually probably closer to 20%.

This is a serious issue, and there's no true promise that it will get better. It's hard to picture it getting worse but R & D is not easy, nor is it necessarily expedient. The issue could be resolved in which case MS eats the billion, swallows hard and moves on, however it's effect could linger.

I'm not Malcolm Forbes or Steve Jobs or anything, and again I haven't cemented my decision, nor have I made it. It just looks like a potential hassle that I don't want to involve myself with at this point.

I don't want to go a month without a console......I don't know if I'd make it...

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.

Last edited by The Glue; 06 Jul 2007 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06 Jul 2007, 10:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Glue
Please. The amount of time I spend on PS2, that would be a pretty good investment for myself, personally.

I have a PS2 because I needed a reason to stop going to bars. Over the years I've gotten more than my money's worth of entertainment out of the PS2 when you consider how much more dangerous and honestly expensive a habit of hitting the bars five to six days and/or nights a week.

So yeah. I can give my PS2 to my kids and they can just enjoy that shit in the living room while I'm in my finished basement blowing shit up on my PS3.

I still haven't really made a decision though. I think I may rent one of each from like Rent A Center or something for a couple of months at a time.

I'm just going to leave it to the one that's better for me.

I'm looking for more than just games and gameplay though. These consoles certainly are a large step up in pricepoint, and for that I'd think more than just games should be a part of the package.

For fuck's sake, PSP has about five or six functions, as does the iPhone.

I've got to see what's the best overall package. However it's mainly your issues with 360 and the fact that so many other people have similar issues to the point where it's costing MS over a B.

Fo real.

Avg 360 retail price? $399??

Divide a 399 dollars into a billion. You get 2,506,265

So 2.5 Million units worth of repairs? Out of 12 or 13 Million users?

And if you take into account the fact that MS is prolly taking a loss of some sort on the price of the console itself and thereby that number's not totally accurate, then fine.

The number's still astronomical and greater than 15% and actually probably closer to 20%.

This is a serious issue, and there's no true promise that it will get better. It's hard to picture it getting worse but R & D is not easy, nor is it necessarily expedient. The issue could be resolved in which case MS eats the billion, swallows hard and moves on, however it's effect could linger.

I'm not Malcolm Forbes or Steve Jobs or anything, and again I haven't cemented my decision, nor have I made it. It just looks like a potential hassle that I don't want to involve myself with at this point.

I don't want to go a month without a console......I don't know if I'd make it...

Late.
That 2.5 million number is probably pretty accurate. By the time you're ready to make your console decision, MS should be past these problems. I mean, you are saying you'll probably make your choice tax season next year and by then, every console on retail shelves should have the fix for these issues, not to mention the switch to the cooler running 65nm chips will be in place.

For me, the games make the headaches all worth it. I've had my Xbox for a year and a half. and in that time I have accumulated 15 retail games, as well as several downloadable arcade games. The games make the console, and Xbox 360's library is top notch and is only getting better.

In the next five and a half months, there are about eight games that are on my wish list. That's insane for less than half of a year

I'm not even being biased when I say that I see no games really for the PS3 that would make me want to buy it. I've never been into RPGs, so the Final Fantasy series is out. Stealth games are cool, Xbox has that covered with the Splinter Cell series, so MGS is out. GTA is multiplatform and Take-Two/R* has a contract with MS for exclusive downloadable episodic content, so no reason to get it for PS3.

If PS3 had games that I was interested in, I would get one (if I had the money), but right now there aren't enough games to justify the purchase. For everything that the PS3 includes, it'll be worth the $600 pricetag once it gets the games.

So yeah, it all comes down to games. The 360 has them right now
Old 06 Jul 2007, 11:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

I think I'm really gonna rent all three before seriously making up my mind.

I hear Madden for PS3 sucks...and I heard that on the PS3 Madden board...

Games certainly are a big part of it, too. PS3 hasn't had the glut of games that 360 has had. I'm thinking that could have something to do with not being "out" nearly as long. I could be wrong.

But PS3 will have God Of War 3. And after playing the first two, I HAVE to play that game. I have a feeling it's going to end with the main character, Kratos destroying existence itself. I dunno, but it's going to be badass, and it's going to own, and I'm going to need to get a piece of it...

I dunno. It's still a ways away. And I still have to play all of them before I decide. Either way, I'll get a good console, as long as I don't become one of the 20 percenters... ...but I'm willing to pay $600 if it's worth it. It's not like I won't have the money once Uncle Sam settles up with me.

Late.