ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Games & Technology

Games & Technology Want the latest news and cheats of your favorite game? Wanna talk about upcoming games? Wanna talk about your favorite comics, or toys and other hobbies?

Gears of War pre-order "assessment".

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Nov 2006, 07:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC
Default Gears of War pre-order "assessment".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hillis; Reuters
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Thursday that early orders for its upcoming Xbox 360 game "Gears of War" are second only to its 2004 blockbuster "Halo 2," giving the company a running start as it aims to compete with the debut of Sony's rival PlayStation 3 console.

"Halo 2" for the original Xbox had pre-orders of 1.5 million and an additional million copies were sold in its first day of release, setting the bar for subsequent Xbox titles.

"Gears of War" is shaping up to be the biggest game on the 360 this year, and Microsoft hopes its stunning graphics, over-the-top violence and multiplayer features will spur more people to pick a 360 over rival systems from Sony Corp. (6758.T: Quote, NEWS, Research) and Nintendo Co. Ltd. (7974.OS: Quote, NEWS, Research).

Shane Kim, Microsoft's vice president in charge of its game studios, declined to say exactly how many copies "Gears of War" has presold, or what expectations it has for the game.

"I can say that the demand, at least in terms of pre-orders and support and demand from retail partners, has been outstanding all over the world," Kim said in an interview.

"For Microsoft Game Studios it is the number two behind only 'Halo 2'. That's a significant number."

"Halo 2" had the benefit of building on the successful formula of its predecessor, and it also came three years into the life of the Xbox, meaning there was a bigger pool of potential buyers of the game.

"Gears," by contrast, comes just a year after the Xbox 360 launched, and its $60 price tag is 20 percent higher.

A sci-fi action game featuring beleaguered human soldiers battling swarms of aliens bent on mankind's destruction, "Gears" invites comparisons to "Halo 2," widely seen as the gold standard of Xbox shooting games.

"Gears" has generated a huge amount of buzz since the first visuals -- featuring gritty armored soldiers prowling dark, gothic environments -- were displayed at a 2005 industry show.

Type "gears of war" into Google, and the search engine spits back nearly 7.4 million results, about 25 percent more than a similar search for "Halo 2."

But Kim cautioned against setting expectations too high.

"It's very unfair to compare any title to 'Halo', which is arguably the biggest franchise in our industry today," Kim said. "'Halo 2' is just an unfair comparison for any title because that was just a different animal."

"Gears" is just one part of a two-pronged holiday push by Microsoft, which is also launching "Viva Pinata," aimed at younger gamers, next week.

In that game, the player tends a colorful virtual garden to lure wild living pinatas that they then tame and breed.

"I've said for a long time that 'Viva Pinata' is just as important a launch (as "Gears"). We intend to win this generation," Kim said, referring to competition from the PlayStation 3 and Nintendo's upcoming Wii console.

Kim reiterated Microsoft's official targets of having 10 million Xbox 360s in the hands of gamers by the end of this year, and of having 6 million people signed up with the Xbox Live online service by the end of next June, up from about 4 million users now.

"In the same way that 'Halo 2' really drove Xbox Live and Xbox Live subscriptions, we think 'Gears of War' will do the same for the Xbox 360," Kim said. "We feel great where we going to be at the end of this holiday."
Click for article.

Wow. Now whether or not you like Halo is irrelevant because the fact is that Halo is the biggest gaming franchise right now. For GOW to be second to it in terms of pre-order numbers (for MS Game Studios anyways) is pretty damn impressive.

You people don't wanna miss out on Gears of War. Anyone that has a 360 or i splanning on getting one needs to have this game. It will be the game to have.
STICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2006, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

GTA is hands down the biggest franchise in gaming right now. But anyways, we should start a clan when this thing launches I have to wait till christmas now though too much other shit to deal with between now and then.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2006, 07:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo
GTA is hands down the biggest franchise in gaming right now.
It's debatable. I can find sales figures for Halo 2, but not for GTA

Quote:
But anyways, we should start a clan when this thing launches I have to wait till christmas now though too much other shit to deal with between now and then.
Hell yeah we should. xer0 is getting a 360 soon, and he might get Gears. I'm getting mine Monday at midnight. You'll probably get it. That's three people right there at least. Hopefully others will decide to get it as well
Old 02 Nov 2006, 08:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by STICK
It's debatable. I can find sales figures for Halo 2, but not for GTA
The number is too high. The internet can't count that high!

Quote:
Hell yeah we should. xer0 is getting a 360 soon, and he might get Gears. I'm getting mine Monday at midnight. You'll probably get it. That's three people right there at least. Hopefully others will decide to get it as well
It's on

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2006, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Tumbleweed

xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.

I'll be getting it...maybe next pay...depends if I decide to go all out and buy this 720p HD set I saw on clearance at Wal-Mart for $319.

I love the clan ida...but unfortunarely Microsoft has basically killed that for the time being...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1up.com
Gears of War Discourages Ranked Team Play
Microsoft certification stands in the way of logic.
by Luke Smith, 11/01/2006

There's been some confusion about Epic's Gears of War and online multiplayer. Will players be able to play ranked games online in pre-made teams? Or will they enter ranked games without their regular playing partners?
We spoke with Gears of War's Cliff Bleszinski to clarify exactly what's going on with Gears' multiplayer:

It's "ranked" meaning that when you are joining a ranked match you are being shown games that are determined to be at the same level as you are by the Xbox Live arbitration system and TrueSkill.
You cannot join with your friends as that would throw the system off given they are likely to be at different ranks and also makes it easier to cheat. So when you search for ranked match you only see games that are playing at your level.

It's required by Microsoft to be this way.

What about unranked games? Will you and three buddies be able to select from playlists or hosted games and join a room for four on four action? We hope so.

Players won't be able to create a squad and go from ranked game to ranked game -- like the matchmaking system Bungie created with Halo 2. Instead, it sounds like players will be ranked individually and then randomly put with players of similar skill levels.

It's frustrating that a team-based multiplayer game like Gears of War seems to be getting squeezed by Microsoft's certification system. Maybe later on, a mode that will allow teams to compete will be added in to Epic's gritty shooter -- considering Microsoft's recent history with micropayments, will it be something we have to pay for?
xer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Nov 2006, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xer0
I'll be getting it...maybe next pay...depends if I decide to go all out and buy this 720p HD set I saw on clearance at Wal-Mart for $319.

I love the clan ida...but unfortunarely Microsoft has basically killed that for the time being...
Can you link me to the TV?

Also, I'm sure we could play unranked matches as a clan. Personally, I'm not all about ranking I just wanna have some fun and that comes from playing, not from a ranking.

The ranking is for the hardcore gamers that play all day everyday trying to get that shit up there. That definitely isn't me
Old 02 Nov 2006, 08:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tumbleweed

xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.xer0 : Cocksucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STICK
Can you link me to the TV?

Also, I'm sure we could play unranked matches as a clan. Personally, I'm not all about ranking I just wanna have some fun and that comes from playing, not from a ranking.

The ranking is for the hardcore gamers that play all day everyday trying to get that shit up there. That definitely isn't me
Its not an online deal...its a floor model. I dunno if I'm actually going to get it...but the thought has crossed my mind.

I like being ranked...even though I am never ranked very high...I just like seeing where my skill level is.
xer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2006, 02:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
RTT
You know me!

RTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of FamerRTT is a PWF Hall of Famer
Send a message via AIM to RTT

Shit, I might as well get Gears of War.

You down with RTT?
RTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Nov 2006, 05:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
sleek & shiny™

pyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICK
Send a message via MSN to pyXL

Yeah, Grand Theft Auto's definitely bigger, although probably due to there being more games on more consoles.

Still... Halo sucks.