ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Games & Technology

Games & Technology Want the latest news and cheats of your favorite game? Wanna talk about upcoming games? Wanna talk about your favorite comics, or toys and other hobbies?

Misconceptions about Apple (Mac) computers (a comprehensive Q & A feature)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2004, 11:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
givin you the evil eye...

Nullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Nullpunkt Send a message via AIM to Nullpunkt Send a message via MSN to Nullpunkt Send a message via Yahoo to Nullpunkt
Default Misconceptions about Apple (Mac) computers (a comprehensive Q & A feature)

Did you find a new computer under the tree this year? Is it driving you crazy yet?

Microsoft is warning customers to make sure they enable the built-in software firewall before connecting PCs to the Internet for the first time. If you don't take this simple step, your first connection to the Web may infect your shiny new computer with the Blaster worm, or another annoying Windows virus.

Many new PCs come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If your new PC behaves badly the moment you plug it in, I have news for you. It's not going to get better.

Just a suggestion: Take it back. Get a Mac. (or at least try one)

I spent some time talking with a client this week who saw a shiny new Mac in a store and wanted to buy it. He hesitated, though, because of some common myths about Apple computers. "It can't do the things I need to do, can it?" he asked.

I asked a few questions, and it turns out that he uses his computer for three things: e-mail, Internet and typing. There's absolutely no reason he can't buy a Mac.

Does that sound familiar? Apple has changed. The latest Mac computers are completely different from the machines sold by Apple a few years ago.

Here are some of the frequently asked questions about Apple computers:

Q: Can I use Microsoft software?

A: You can. Microsoft sells a Mac version of Office, and offers free versions of Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player and other popular Microsoft programs.

You may not need Microsoft software, though. Each new Mac comes with a free word processor called TextEdit, which can open and save in Microsoft Word format. Apple also provides a free Web browser called Safari, which is (in my opinion) better and faster than Internet Explorer.

Q: Can I share files with Windows users?

A: Yes. Apple uses standard file formats, which makes it easy to exchange documents with PC users or to move your old files to a new Mac. You can share files using e-mail, or burn them on CD; Macs are smart enough to make Windows-compatible CDs.

Q: Are Macs more secure than Windows machines?

A: New Macs are built on UNIX, a more stable and secure foundation than Windows. The software firewall in new Macs is turned on by default, and vulnerable "ports" are closed. Perhaps most importantly, there hasn't been a single Mac OS X virus attack in three years. That doesn't make them virus-proof, but I like the odds, don't you?

Q: Can I use a two-button mouse on a Mac?

A: Sure. Two-button (and three-button) mice get along just fine with new Mac computers.

Q: Can I use my existing printer/camera/scanner/etc.?

A: In most cases, external devices are easier to use with a Mac than with your PC. You just plug them in and they work no restarts, no special drivers required. Older hardware (3-plus years) may not get along with any new computer, including a new Mac. Search the "Support" section of Apple.com for information about supported devices.

Q: How do I get on-line with a new Mac?

A: Apple includes an Internet Setup program that automates the process of connecting to your Internet provider. All you need is the setup information provided by your ISP (e.g. user name, password, mail server name, etc.). In some cases, the Mac makes it possible to connect without using the complicated software provided by your ISP.

Q: Can I chat with Windows users?

A: There are Mac versions of all the popular instant message programs, including Yahoo! Messenger and MSN Messenger. Apple's own software, iChat, lets you talk to other Mac users and to the millions of AOL users worldwide. iChat also has advanced audio and video chat options that you can use (especially if you have iSight or another high speed video camera).

Q: Can I use my software on the Mac?

A: There are Mac versions of many popular Windows programs and many more that are only available for the Mac. For a directory of popular Mac software, see http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/.

Some Windows-only software will not work on the Mac especially programs written especially for small business, like custom accounting packages, etc. However, if these programs are essential, you can buy a Microsoft product called Virtual PC, which lets you run Wiindows on your Mac when necessary. See http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ for details.

Q: Are there games for the Mac?

A: Apple has been weak in this area in the past, but things are picking up. Halo for Mac was finally released this month, and many other popular titles are available, including SimCity 4, Warcraft III, Unreal 2003, and Civilization.

There are also hundreds of shareware and freeware games available, including terrific Mac-only titles like the recently released iPoker. Search VersionTracker.com or the Mac section of Download.com to see what's available for Mac.

Q: Can I run a Mac on a PC network (or vice versa)?

A: Yes! Apple provides tools that make it easy to share files and network with Windows PCs. New Macs are also compatible with wireless technologies like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. You can find more information about switching to a Mac at http://www.apple.com/switch/

Q: Wait, I didn't catch that up there...can I run the Microsoft Windows Operating System on an Apple Computer?

A: Absolutely. There is a program availiable called "Virtual PC for Mac" which is actually MADE by Microsoft. It allows you to run the Windows operating system WHILE you're doing tasks within Mac OS X

Q: This all sounds too good to be true. Is it?

A: Macs are not perfect. Apple has its own problems and blind spots. However, after years of using both Windows and Mac machines, I'm very comfortable recommending new Mac computers to both new users and Windows users.

As for those new to checking out these computers, perhaps the best choice for new users is the all-in-one eMac. The cheapest eMac retails for $1,099 (Cdn.) in Canada. I recommend the mid-range $1,499 eMac, which has a DVD burner.

Or, Keep your PC, as always, the choice is yours.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 11:25 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud ofNullpunkt has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Nullpunkt Send a message via AIM to Nullpunkt Send a message via MSN to Nullpunkt Send a message via Yahoo to Nullpunkt

Whoooooooops, forgot the American prices in there........

The entry level eMac retails for $799 (US)
and mid-range eMac (with CD-RW/DVD-R) retails for $1099 (US)

check out the actual store for products and various other computer models here:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...AppleStore.woa

for Canada, it's this address:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...s/canadastore/

If you're in a different country than those, go to one of those two pages, and scroll down to the middle of the page......check the list of countries with Apple stores in them (and yes, they're pretty much everywhere)
Old 11 Feb 2004, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
sleek & shiny

pyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICKpyXL is a STICK
Send a message via MSN to pyXL

Are Apple paying you?
Old 11 Feb 2004, 04:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

ha ha ha..... I wish I got free computers, m'friend.....

Sadly, I'm not affiliated with the company whatsoever. Just trying to alleviate some myths commonly associated with these computers.

But seriously, If Apple WERE paying me...why would i be posting at a message board dedicated to wrestling?
Old 11 Feb 2004, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

yeah well I don't belive you.

Nah, I'm just kidding. Those are some good facts, I don't know much about Macs so that was a useful read. I don't see myself running out and picking on up but it's still good to know.

I have a question of my own though, it may have been in there but I never saw it (read through it rather fast). Anyway, Do all Macs come in those ridiculously gay colours? Do they make normal ones, that just look like computers?
error402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2004, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by error402

I have a question of my own though, it may have been in there but I never saw it (read through it rather fast). Anyway, Do all Macs come in those ridiculously gay colours? Do they make normal ones, that just look like computers?
you mean like all those two tone colours that you see on TV all the time?
The answer is a resounding no. The two tone colour idea was scrapped in 2001. all computers are now one colour

The most predominant colour is white. all models other than the laptops (Powerbooks, which are aluminum, as are the G5's) Often, the computers might have some metallic trim to accent.

but instead of talking about it, i'll just show you what they look like now.

that's what the new iMac's look like. gone are the two-tone teardrop-shaped ones you despised so much. and yes, the tower components (processor/CPU/Memory/DVD-R Drive) are located in the bottom of the dome shaped stand. the thing looks even sharper with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

this is the eMac....... it looks like the old iMac's but thankfully......it's all one colour..... these are the Mac primarilty used in schools. and yep, the components are housed inside.

ah, the powerbook......gone is the two-tone clamshell type computer, and replaced by this sleek, aluminum guy. The iBooks (Which is what i have) are white, and are slightly less powerful than the Powerbooks....... look exactly the same.

The Power Mac G5. Expensive, but worth every penny. this motherfucker is damn fast. the monitor is extra, but if you want one, it looks like this:

hope that helped you out a little bit..........

*wipes brow* man, if this keeps up, Apple BETTER start paying me for this shit.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

well thank you mo. I think we are the only 2 mac users here. Macs are just easier, and better. I think you should address the speed concerns pc users seem to have. Like the real difference between a 4 ghz pentium piece of shit, vs the g5. And how the g5 is still so much faster. Take it away

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2004, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

oh you rat, rat bastard, exo.

I'm not too fluent in geek-speek, and well um, i'm sure people would be bored to death with me talking about benchmarks and load times.....but well to simplify i'll put it like this:

with an operating system DESIGNED to work SEAMLESSLY with the hardware (because contrary to popular belief, most PC's weren't built from scratch to work hand-in-hand with MS-DOS - Microsoft's OS -).....of course it's going to run a lot faster and be a lot more stable.

or you could just go to the apple site ( www.apple.com ) and click on the "Megahertz Myth" Quicktime video and see for yourself the difference.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

yeah, that's what I'm talking about, the megahertz myth. What a croc of shit.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 11 Feb 2004, 09:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

that and well, 64-bit processor (Macs) vs. 32-bit processor (Intel)........

I wonder which one is going to be faster when it comes to using graphic intense programs?
Old 12 Feb 2004, 06:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Secret Agent

Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.

i dont care how good Apples may be... i despise them. at uni they always break down on me and fail me like a motherfucker. PCs never do. besides, i like Windows, and i dont really like the Mac OS...
Old 12 Feb 2004, 12:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

My Mac OS X has never crashed. I've had applications go down, but the system always runs.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 16 Feb 2004, 12:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDS
My Mac OS X has never crashed. I've had applications go down, but the system always runs.
likewise, 3 plus years of owning my own mac.......and not a single hiccup.

and Sub, most schools that have macs, usually carry older models (because Apple offers them a deal) , and use older OS's........ hence the stability issues.

That and most schools run a network that carries Mac's and PC's on the same line. Of course there is going to be hiccups and reliability issues.... on both the PC's and Macs on that network......

ask your school to run Mac OS X Server on an Xserve network.....and one would assume you're changing your tune..... honestly, nothing like it......and this is coming from a guy who was born with a beige-box pc in the womb.

(yes, i for the longest time, was a PC over Mac supporter. Now i enjoy both platforms. Go figure.)
Old 17 Feb 2004, 05:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
Secret Agent

Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.

university, sir... and they have shitloads of white computers with Mac OS X... always crash... PC > Mac IMO.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 04:32 PM   #15 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

^That is the worst argument ever. Like pc's don't break down every 15 mins. Did you even read the thread? Mo gives about 100 reasons why macs are good, and all you said is, "They crash on me they suck." At least give some examples or what it is that a pc is doing so much better (And I know it isn't crashing less). If you don't like the OS because you don't know it, that's one thing and that might be an opinion, even if it is ignorant. Or you just don't like macs because they're macs. I run them at work on a network of 20+ and we never have crashing problems, viruses, incapatabilities, etc. Maybe the problem is with your schools tech support.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!