ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > Non-Wrestling > Games & Technology

Games & Technology Want the latest news and cheats of your favorite game? Wanna talk about upcoming games? Wanna talk about your favorite comics, or toys and other hobbies?

Beach Spikers: Initial Impressions (GC)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Apr 2003, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
KawasakIcon

Default Beach Spikers: Initial Impressions (GC)

Well, one of the games that I first saw that was a positive impetus in buying the Cube, was Sega's and AM2's Beach Spikers. Back when I saw the first videos of this (and this was before seeing anything for DOA: XBV) I thought it was stunning and me jokingly showing it to friends and saying "now here's what's bound to be the best game ever" certainly wasn't uncommon. Beach volleyball with beautiful women... how could any hetero male resist...

Well, then Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball came around and was upping the ante all around on what Sega's game would do (and we won't even mention Outlaw Volleyball yet- so forget you heard that here ). More ample women, additional game modes and an item collection system. I've played and have very much enjoyed DOA: XBV, and still think it is a hell of a game-

But as you all know, I recently became a Cube owner, and I've gotten just totally sucked in with this charming little system- everything's been a real treat, and I was hot to pick up more titles that I missed out on and in some cases pick it up quickly just because of limited availabilty in this area and also some were priced just right. Beach Spikers was one of these games, so this past Saturday I picked it up.

And much like Super Monkey Ball, this game might just be nearly as perfect as it can get...

Right from the start, I was totally blown away by the graphic splendor of this title. The players are all very well modelled, with no seams and lots of graphic variety. Motion capture has also been done to perfection- almost all movement just seems totally natural. The various volleyball courts are all bright and colorful and filled with 3D spectators (although a bit more generic than say something like Sega Soccer Slam). One can't help but be very impressed by the lighting effects in the game or the movement of the sand as the girls run about. With DOA: XBV out, I'm sure most will think this falls a little short, but not me. It's a prime example of a great looking game on the GameCube. Another of the cool graphic features in this game is the camera tracking the ball- it's way more involving than that of DOA: XBV and really feels like it puts you in the action (especially for a final spike). A big thumbs up for the graphics of Beach Spikers.

On the sound front, the music is what you expect from an AM2 game, breezy, pop-rock that totally feels at home. AM2 is great at giving you a game that just sounds like a fun game to play. The other thing that I like is the limited voice work of the girls themselves, although a little hard to understand during the World Tour, when they're in game they sound great (even though it's mostly grunts at the end of actions, they sound right- and a lot better than the sound of the girls in DOZ: XBV.

Much like DOA: XBV, the control in this game is about as simple as it can get- all moves are accomplished with the A and B buttons and following the Tutorial, all are extremely easy to execute. But here, I think there's way more depth of gameplay and a lot more in tune with a Virtua Tennis, than say what DOA: XBV gives. In other words, this plays a fine game of volleyball. I am totally amazed at how well shots can be set up, or saved and how well spikes can be executed in relationship to your position from the net. During some of the Arcade play, i got into a few real furious volleys back and forth and with the camera action as well as the exacting control and the very smart (and very fair) A.I. it left me breathless. Again I can't emphasize how well the camera works in the game, constantly in motion, constantly tracking the ball and always getting right in position for a killer spike or a two-attack. I'm playing in Normal difficulty and have yet to fully win in Arcade mode. It doesn't matter though, the gameplay here is, to me, just as addictive as what it is in Virtua Tennis.

I've played a little of World Tour, but I'm not fully checked out on that one entirely... so bear with me. World Tour though will involve the building of your team right from the physical characteristics all the way up to setting attributes and then going further to establish solid teamwork (including choosing between encouragement, praise or reprimanding between court change action). Like I said, I'm just not fully checked out on how to de everything here, so I'm getting my ass handed to me in games in the World Tour mode- but I will come back to it after a little more manual time and give it another go.

Regardless, this would've been worth it to me just for the Arcade game alone... again, this is Pong- but Pong with some glorious play mechanics and absolutely gorgeous eye-candy. And it plays a hell of a game of volleyball too.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
One more match

Hollywood Hogan is a splendid one to beholdHollywood Hogan is a splendid one to beholdHollywood Hogan is a splendid one to beholdHollywood Hogan is a splendid one to beholdHollywood Hogan is a splendid one to beholdHollywood Hogan is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hogan

Congrats on becoming a GC owner...Get Metroid Prime and Zelda: The Windwaker if you want a couple games that will blow your mind...
Old 20 Apr 2003, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
KawasakIcon

Oh btw, I forgot to put this in there. This could be also found at veterangamers.com

I dont own a GC, dont think I will either. I just wanted to find a GC review for all you GC owners. And no offense Hollywood, I think both of those games blow beyond believe. Yes ive played them.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Tom Hanks With-A the Aids

Forgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICK
Send a message via MSN to Forgotten Sin

interesting.though i don't play volleyball games, this sounds fun!

Forgotten Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2003, 08:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
I hate people

Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Toof Send a message via MSN to Toof Send a message via Yahoo to Toof

Perverts.
Toof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Apr 2003, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Forgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICK

que?

Old 23 Apr 2003, 08:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
I hate people

Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Toof Send a message via MSN to Toof Send a message via Yahoo to Toof

Quote:
George Bush said in post # :
que?
Have you seen the commercial for DOA Volleyball. The guys look like fucking zonbies watching the damn characters in Tiny tiny bikinies. Shit I would understrand if it were real women.
Toof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Apr 2003, 09:29 AM   #8 (permalink)

yeah, Pixelized Boobies are a fickle thing.