ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > ProWrestlingFans > Archives

Archives PWFans Forums Archives - Where all the old threads go...

Greatest Rapper Alive First Round Match 15 - Mos Def vs Tech N9ne
View Poll Results: Who will advance?
Mos Def 2 22.22%
Tech N9ne 7 77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jul 2008, 06:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.
Send a message via MSN to Jason Send a message via Yahoo to Jason
Default Greatest Rapper Alive First Round Match 15 - Mos Def vs Tech N9ne

Mos Def

Dante Terrell Smith (born December 11, 1973), better known by his stage name Mos Def, is a Golden Globe and Emmy Award-nominated actor and Grammy Award-nominated acclaimed American rapper. Mos Def started his rap career as a member of the Native Tongue Posse collective and by guesting on albums by Da Bush Babees and De La Soul. He released a well-received album with Talib Kweli as Black Star, and was a major force in the late 1990s underground hip hop explosion spearheaded by Rawkus Records. His stage name doesn't come from the words 'most definitely' but refers instead to his belief that he is in fact the most 'def' of all ('def' being the old school Hip Hop term for 'cool'). He would, however, later release a compilation album which makes reference to his name called Mos Definite.

Mos Def was born Dante Terrell Smith in the Roosevelt Houses of Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, New York City. He has younger brothers -- Abdul Rahman, a.k.a. "Gold Medal Man," who is Mos' full-time DJ, and Anwar Superstar, famous for his collaboration with world renowned electronica DJs The Chemical Brothers on their 2006 Grammy-winning album Push The Button, for the politically charged song "Left Right" (Astralwerks), and for his most recent collaboration with Mos Def on the song titled "Here Comes The Champ", featured on the critically acclaimed video game soundtrack for NBA 2K7 produced by Dan The Automator, (Dan The Automator Presents: NBA 2K7); DCQ (Medina Green, Cross Town Beef). He has a younger sister, Ces. Mos Def is a convert to Islam and joins millions of the famous raps of "Huslah" and "Jacka" who are also known as Muslims. In addition his brothers are all MuslimsMos Def grew up during the golden age of hip-hop and has been rapping and acting since he was 9 years old.

Mos Def began his music career in 1996 in the short-lived group Urban Thermo Dynamics with his younger brother DCQ and his younger sister Ces. Despite their contract with Payday Records, the group only released two singles, and their debut album Manifest Destiny was not released until 2004, when it was distributed by Illson Media. In 1996, he emerged as a solo artist and worked with De La Soul and da Bush Babees, before he released his own first single, "Universal Magnetic," which was a huge underground hit.

After signing with Rawkus Records, Mos Def and Talib Kweli formed the group Black Star, and released a full length album under the name, Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star. The album was released in 1998 and featured Hi-Tek as producer on most of the tracks.

Mos Def released his solo debut Black on Both Sides in 1999 through Rawkus Records.Black On Both Sides recieved 4 mics from The Source. Mos Def was also featured on Rawkus' influential Lyricist Lounge and Soundbombing series of compilations. After the collapse of Rawkus, he signed to Interscope/Geffen Records, which released his second solo album The New Danger in 2004.

"The New Danger" received criticism from fans and critics for its eclectic mix of several musical genres, including soul, blues and rock and roll, performed with his rock band Black Jack Johnson. Black Jack Johnson contained members of the bands Bad Brains and Living Colour.

Mos Def has drawn some criticism from his fan base about "keeping it real" after he appeared in a commercial that endorsed the GMC Denali sport utility vehicle. Mos Def's final solo album for Geffen Records,True Magic, was quietly released on December 29, 2006. 2007 saw the release of another solo album: Mos Definite. This album was released under the Frequent M (Groove Attack) label.

Throughout his music career he has received several Grammy Award nominations, first for "Ghetto Rock" from his 2004 album The New Danger, and then for Undeniable in 2007.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tech N9ne

Aaron Dontez Yates (born November 8, 1971 in Kansas City, Missouri) better known by his stage name Tech N9ne, is an American rapper. His musical career has spanned 20 years, during which he has performed sold out shows from Los Angeles to New York City. He is also the best selling MC out of his hometown of Kansas City.

Tech N9ne is known for his wide range of collaborations with other well-known artists. In 1999, Tech N9ne was included on the track (and accompanying video) "The Anthem" from Sway & King Tech, two radio personalities based in California.

He started his rap career because of a dare from one of his friends in high school. Early in his career, Tech N9ne was a member of a group called "NNUTT HOWZE", which he pays tribute to in many of his lyrics by saying "Six, six, triple eight, forty six, ninety nine, three" (6688846993), which spells out NNUTT HOWZE on the touch pad numbers of a telephone. However, the group disbanded when they were dropped from their label, Perspective Records. Additionally, he saw glimpses of success as a member of the 57th Street Rogue Dog Villians - also a Kansas City-based group - with their single "Let's Get Fucked Up".[1]

Tech N9ne is a member of The Regime, a large collective of MCs including Yukmouth, Dru Down, Gonzoe, Tha Realest and Messy Marv among various others. Fellow Kansas City rappers, BG Bulletwound and Grant Rice, are also included in the collective's roster. Tech N9ne is one of the original members of The Regime, as he has been with the group since its creation by Yukmouth in 1997. The stage name Tech N9ne derives from the word technique and the number 9, 9 being the number of completion; meaning he is a 'complete emcee'.

Tech N9ne and Travis O'Guin co-own the record label Strange Music, which was created in 2002 after Tech N9ne's release from JCOR Entertainment. Under the label, Tech N9ne has released six albums, Absolute Power, Anghellic: Reparation, Vintage Tech, Everready (The Religion), Tech N9ne Collabos: Misery Loves Kompany, and Killer. The label has signed several other performers and bands including Kutt Calhoun, Skatterman & Snug Brim, Project: Deadman which consists of Prozak, and producer Mike E. Clark, Big Krizz Kaliko, and Kabosh which is a joint effort by Tech N9ne and Kaliko where they will venture into the rock world. Recently, Strange Music signed Dirty Thug Records, the label that houses Grave Plott (Killa C & Liquid Assassin), to a distribution deal. Strange Music has also signed Brooklyn-area rapper and member of La Coka Nostra, Ill Bill, to release his upcoming second album The Hour of Reprisal. There are rumors that Ill Bill has signed with Strange Music to join the actual label, although there has been no direct word as to whether his deal is for distribution only or not. Ill Bill later announced that Uncle Howie Records was effectively a sub-label of Strange now, similar to "like how Jay Z brought Roc-A-Fella to Def Jam."

Tech N9ne is featured on the soundtrack for the 1997 movie Gang Related, featuring James Belushi and 2Pac. In 2001, Tech N9ne's song "Tormented," from his album Anghellic, appeared in a scene of the Fox TV series Dark Angel, it plays for nearly two minutes in the background of a bar scene contained in the season two episode "Two."

Four of Tech N9ne's songs were featured in the 2007 Universal Pictures film, Alpha Dog. Two of those songs, "Caribou Lou" and "Night and Day" are from the 2006 album, Everready: The Religion. Also included are "Slither" from his 2002 album Absolute Power and "LA LA Land" featuring Gina Cassavetes (daughter of film director Nick Cassavetes) which is featured on the Alpha Dog film soundtrack. Originally, Tech N9ne was behind scoring the entire movie but the movie studio decided to remove some of his music to add more commercially known songs.

His song "I'm a Playa" featured on the album Absolute Power samples the song Rock Me Amadeus by Falco.

The tracks "Jellysickle" and "My Wife, My Bitch, My Girl", both from 2006 album Everready (The Religion), are featured on the soundtrack to 25 To Life, a 2005 video game, in which Tech N9ne is also an unlockable character. A censored version of "The Beast," also from 2006 release Everready (The Religion), is featured in the game Madden NFL 2006.

In early 2007, Tech N9ne was featured on the MTV program I'm From Rolling Stone.

Tech N9ne has been confirmed for several upcoming collaborations. Among them are an appearance on Bizarre's (of D12) second solo album titled Blue Cheese & Coney Island, Bay Area rap pioneer E-40's upcoming album The Ball Street Journal, Bay Area MC San Quinn's album From a Boy to a Man, Ill Bill's The Hour of Reprisal and Brotha Lynch Hung's Dinner & A Movie album.

Lil' Flip has expressed interest to Tech N9ne in working together, though details have yet to be worked out between the two parties.

Twista was originally set to appear on "Welcome To The Midwest" from Everready, but his recorded verse wasn't sent to Tech in time to be fully mastered without delaying the album. Tech says he still plans to use the verse in the future. Tech later collaborated with Twista and Prozak on the song "Why" from Prozak's Tales From the Sick. Referring to bringing back the midwest, Krayzie Bone stated that he and Tech will definitely do work together in the future.

Tech N9ne has also popularized a mixed drink called Caribou Lou which is often asked for when in Kansas City.

In Spring 2008, Tech N9ne embarked on a nationwide tour with Swisha House recording artist Paul Wall. and featured Brooklyn rapper Ill Bill.

Tech N9ne Has Also Recorded Tracks with Eminem, Twiztid, King Gordy, Insane Clown Posse, 2Pac and Many More.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 07:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

Tech N9ne. He's just fuckin' sick. He's my personal favorite rapper, and he has four top notch classic albums in the past decade. Tech is a true Independent artist and hasn't sold out (pay for play) and compromised his personal beliefs to make it in the rap industry.

Last edited by STICK; 11 Jul 2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

I find it funny that Alex has been here defending every single underground rapper, but votes against Tech N9ne, the ultimate underground rapper, and doesn't give an explanation.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Nothing but the TrutHHH

Tr(uth)iple H is fat like a planet.Tr(uth)iple H is fat like a planet.Tr(uth)iple H is fat like a planet.Tr(uth)iple H is fat like a planet.Tr(uth)iple H is fat like a planet.Tr(uth)iple H is fat like a planet.Tr(uth)iple H is fat like a planet.Tr(uth)iple H is fat like a planet.Tr(uth)iple H is fat like a planet.Tr(uth)iple H is fat like a planet.Tr(uth)iple H is fat like a planet.

Tech9ne by a mile.

Mos should stick to doing movies.

^^^^Made by the Big Homie Stick...PC representer.
Old 11 Jul 2008, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Sergeant

The Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DCThe Glue You want to be like DC

Ford Prefect is a rapper??!

Late.

People who use the words "Internet Bullies" are the most pussiest form of pussies you'll ever find. Chances are better than not that any girlfriend they've ever had cheated on them multiple times, probably right in front of them, laughing at their pitiful punk asses the whole time while they sat there and cried. If you or someone you know has been caused grief by an "Internet Bully" then you and/or that person is nothing but a little punk ass bitch, and the world would be a better, more manly place if you'd just jump off a fucking bridge already. Late.
Old 12 Jul 2008, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Alive On Arrival

Alex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STICK View Post
I find it funny that Alex has been here defending every single underground rapper, but votes against Tech N9ne, the ultimate underground rapper, and doesn't give an explanation.
Before the tourney, I made a post about how much I liked Mos Def, and now I'm just stayin consistent. I think you find it more funny that I voted against your boy. You want a good reason for voting for Mos Def? K, here's a good reason...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmqXKbxDoJ0

Brooklyn!

I don't claim to represent the underground with my rap opinions. Infact, if you look at my nominations list for this tourney... Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, KRS-One, Eminem, Method Man, Ice Cube, and Supernatural... the first three are well known to educated hip hop fans, the second three are pretty much well known to all hip hop fans, and Supernatural is my only nomination that is relatively unknown to the mainstream and that's because he was nominated for his freestyling/battling abilities.
Can't just get one, bullets like Frito Lays for them..."

- Jadakiss
Old 12 Jul 2008, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Spear should cut his own throat and bleed to death.
Send a message via MSN to Spear Send a message via Yahoo to Spear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Before the tourney, I made a post about how much I liked Mos Def, and now I'm just stayin consistent. I think you find it more funny that I voted against your boy. You want a good reason for voting for Mos Def? K, here's a good reason...

Brooklyn!

I don't claim to represent the underground with my rap opinions. Infact, if you look at my nominations list for this tourney... Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, KRS-One, Eminem, Method Man, Ice Cube, and Supernatural... the first three are well known to educated hip hop fans, the second three are pretty much well known to all hip hop fans, and Supernatural is my only nomination that is relatively unknown to the mainstream and that's because he was nominated for his freestyling/battling abilities.
I nominated Eminem.
Old 12 Jul 2008, 06:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.

Tech N9ne.

He's better than most mainstream rappers of today.
Old 12 Jul 2008, 10:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Brooklyn!

LMAO, that freestyle was not impressive. Underground, not mainstream, whatever.
Old 13 Jul 2008, 12:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
Alive On Arrival

Alex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of FamerAlex is a PWF Hall of Famer

The freestyle's solid, and it could grow on you the next time you hear it, I know that's how it was for me. As far as this poll, I just like Mos Def better, and you can say moments like that freestyle contributed to that. Also, Def ain't even commercialized, so I don't see how their status makes a difference.
Can't just get one, bullets like Frito Lays for them..."

- Jadakiss
Old 13 Jul 2008, 12:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Tech wins this matchup and will now move on.

Thanks again to those that voted.