ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > ProWrestlingFans > Archives

Archives PWFans Forums Archives - Where all the old threads go...

Your Opinion Wanted! Criticism welcome!
View Poll Results: What did you think of the article?
Wow, I didn't think stuff could suck that hard. 0 0%
That's some mighty fine work, biatch! 6 54.55%
Give up while you're ahead, you no-talent hack. 0 0%
Meh. I could care less. 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2002, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Your Opinion Wanted! Criticism welcome!

Hey all,

here it is. an open chance to critique my work.

I've recently written and article for a music magazine (which shall remain nameless, because I don't want to jinx it) which is due to be published in a scant few weeks. My future at this magazine depends on my ability and talent to write the article in question. I've been kinda nervous writing it these last few hours, and before I submit it, I want to know what you guys think of it. Some of you are the target range for this magazine, and your insight would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to tell me if it sucks, or if I should change anything about it. Keep in mind i had to write it for fans and non-fans alike. hence the large amount of background information.

Oh yeah, warning you now, it's fairly long.
Hope you enjoy it, and let me know what you think, ok?

Thanks for your input!

and without further adieu..........................

Foo Fighters: CD Review
October 17, 2002
Michael Wilson

The long-awaited and often-delayed new album from the Bakersfield, Calfornia-based foursome the Foo Fighters is nearly upon us, and followers and listeners of the band are in for a definite surprise.
The group - featuring Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl on guitar and vocals, Nate Mendel on bass guitar, Chris Shiflett on lead guitar and Taylor Hawkins on the drums -  unleash a  megaton-sized rock record on the music-consuming public in the form of their fourth effort ‘One By One’.
The album showcases a diverse arrangement of songs, ranging from punk-worthy guitar-laden anthems to radio-friendly pseudo-pop ballads. Leading the way is the Jekyll and Hyde opening track ‘All My Life’ - arguably the showpeice of the album -  exhibiting crunching guitar riffs, a pulsating tempo that culminates around the three minute mark of the song and a completely memorable chorus . Following the electric opener is the track ‘Tired (Of You)’ , a soft, down-tempo ballad featuring minimal guitar work where Grohl gently whispers into the microphone and asks the listener the question “Is this just desire, or the truth?” Other notable tracks on the album include ‘Times Like These (One Way Motorway)’, with an opening eerily reminiscent of the Guns N’ Roses classic ‘Sweet Child O’ Mine’, the soulful yet up-tempo anthem ‘Lonely As You’ and the Beatle-esque call-to-arms for todays cynical youth ‘Disenchanted Lullaby’. Honourable mention goes the rest of the albums tracks ‘Low’, ‘Have It All’, ‘Burn Away’, ‘Halo’, ‘Overdrive’ and the albums underrated closing track, the suitably titled ‘Come back’.
For longtime followers of the group, this album is definitely a must-have as this record shows the bands maturity both sonically and lyrically. For newcomers to the Foo’s style, this album marks a defining chapter in the bands somewhat checkered history and teases the listener with what is possibly in store on future albums by the quartet.
For the uninitated, more casual fans of the group or relative newcomers to the alternative music scene,  the Foo Fighters were created by Dave Grohl in 1994, several months after the much-publicized suicide of Kurt Cobain - Grohl’s former band member in the legendary rock band Nirvana - forced him to pursue his musical ambitions elsewhere. The Foo Fighters were signed 1995 and imediately released their self-titled debut  album on the Capitol  record label, Roswell Records. The record was met with commercial success from the listeners as well as critical praise from music industry and fellow artists. The record propelled the band to the top of the rock music charts off the strengh of the album’s four singles -’This Is A Call’, ‘ I’ll Stick Around’, ‘Big Me’ and ‘Alone + Easy Target’ - and each of the acompanying music videos were on heavy rotation on MTV and Muchmusic across North America.
The band, trying to capitalize on their newfound popularity, toured across the globe in support of the album for nearly a year and a half. Immediately after their tour ended, the group returned to the studio to work on their sophmore effort , 1997’s ‘The Colour And The Shape’.
It was during the recording sessions for this album the original drummer for the band, William Goldsmith - formerly a member of punk group Sunny Day Real Estate - left the band to pursue other musical interests. He was immediately replaced by the former drummer for Canadian pop music icon Alanis Morrisette and current Foo Fighter drummer, Taylor Hawkins. Even with Goldsmiths’ departure, the band soldiered on and finished recording the album. This effort was arguably the foursome’s most sucessful album to date. Such radio hits as ‘Monkey Wrench’, ‘My Hero’, ‘Everlong’ and ‘Walking After You’  off the second disc once again thrusted the Foo Fighters to the forefront of the alternative music scene.
Not long after the tour for this album started did the band begin to shows sign of wear. Pat Smear - former guitarist for alt-rock grunge band Nirvana and original guitarist for the Foo Fighters on their first two albums - left the band in a very public breakup at the 1997 MTV Music Video Awards mere minutes before the band was to play for the live audience. Guitarist Franz Stahl - a longtime friend to Foo Fighter frontman Dave Grohl - stepped in as Smear’s emergency replacement for the show. Not long after that particular performance Stahl officially joined the band. His stay wasnít a long one though, as he left the band during the recording of the Foo Fighters third album released November 1999, titled ’There Is Nothing Left To Lose’. He was replaced by the groups current guitarist, Chris Shiflett formerly a member of the pop-punk outfit ‘No Use For A Name’.
That particular album marked a slight downturn in the seemingly good fortunes of the band, as their third effort was panned critically across the music industry for being ‘too soft’. Even with critical disapproval though, the album was moderately sucessful commercially with the singles ‘Learn To Fly’ , ‘Breakout’ and ‘Generator’, and was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
Touring for the third album also proved unlucky for the Foo Fighters as their European leg of their world tour in early 2001 was cut short when Hawkins became ill and was hospitalized for exorbitant use of drugs and alcohol during their excessive touring of North America.
Regardless of the setbacks, the band remained focused for the future. The end of their tour marked a return to the studio for the group. The on-again-off-again-on-again recordings were compiled early this year to compose the Foo Fighters’ fourth studio album, the aforementioned ‘One by One’. The reason for the delay was primarily due to frontman Grohlís desire to tour with the critically-acclaimed rock group ‘Queens Of The Stone Age’. He can be heard playing the drums on their recent album entitled ‘Songs For The Deaf’.
Grohl has also involved himself in a couple of other musical side projects, specifically ‘Late!’ from his pre-Nirvana days and the upcoming release from his one-man outfit entitled ‘Probot’.
As for the immediate future of the Foo Fighters, the band plans to tour extensively over the next year and a half across North America and Europe in support of ‘One by One’. Look for the release of the albums first single, ‘All My Life’ in your local record stores now. The full album is availiable October 22.

Old 10 Oct 2002, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
-Girl X-

Twisted Angel is the absolute WORST poster everTwisted Angel is the absolute WORST poster everTwisted Angel is the absolute WORST poster everTwisted Angel is the absolute WORST poster everTwisted Angel is the absolute WORST poster everTwisted Angel is the absolute WORST poster everTwisted Angel is the absolute WORST poster ever

I really liked the article, I hope you are successful with it!

Thanks for the very awesome banner KK!
Old 10 Oct 2002, 12:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Wow. mucho gracias!

Quote:
Originally posted by Devils_Playgirl
I really liked the article, I hope you are successful with it!
Thanks for the praise.
I appreciate your insight, and value your thoughts and opinions!

Take 'er easy,

Pablo Ripcord

Old 10 Oct 2002, 12:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
Shoot Me Again

Head Banger will become famous soon enoughHead Banger will become famous soon enough

I liked it.....though i don't care much for the Foo Fighters
Old 10 Oct 2002, 12:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dre
It's 4:19 Got a Minute?

Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...Dre , I can't believe you got THIS far...

I thought it was pretty good man.....It was well written good luck with that.....The only problem for me is that i don't like the Foo Foghters, but your piece was very infomative becuase i learned a lot of shit that i didn't know before.

Old 10 Oct 2002, 01:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Dre
I thought it was pretty good man.....It was well written good luck with that.....The only problem for me is that i don't like the Foo Foghters, but your piece was very infomative becuase i learned a lot of shit that i didn't know before.
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the foo fighters either, but my job was to rate the album based on a non-biased opinion, hence it didn't really reflect my true thoughts on the band. But I'm happy you found it informative, as that was one of my main goals of the article.

Journalism is a tricky creature, let me tell you.

like i said above, thanks for your input and insight.

Old 10 Oct 2002, 10:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

I know it means little to you guys, but it looks like my story is going to be picked up on the national newswire and printed throughout papers across canada.....or at least that what my new editor thinks..........

and hey, look's like i might be getting that job, too!

thanks for all your input and criticism, through this thread and through some of the PM's you sent me.

You guys rock!

thanks, again!

Old 10 Oct 2002, 12:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
DC
I've got the power!

DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.DC , get a rope and a stool and a REALLY solid beam.  Fatso.
Send a message via MSN to DC

good luck dude. i really could care less, so i didn't read it cause the first thing it said was Foo Fighters, and i hate those no talent, only famous cause that one guy was in Nirvana, band. But anyways good luck man, hope it works out for you.