ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > ProWrestlingFans > Archives

Archives PWFans Forums Archives - Where all the old threads go...

"Come On Down!!! You're the next contestant on the Price Is Right!!!!"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Oct 2003, 10:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC
Default "Come On Down!!! You're the next contestant on the Price Is Right!!!!"

That phrase from that voice will never be heard again unless you watch a rerun of "The Price is Right", because Rod Roddy passed away on Monday

Here's the article:

'Price Is Right' Announcer Dies
Oct 28, 10:56 AM EST

Associated Press

The phrase he shouted out on TV for 17 years "Come on Down!" became household words around the country, even if Rod Roddy's name did not.

The veteran television announcer died Monday at Century City Hospital of colon and breast cancer at age 66.

For nearly two decades his voice was familiar to fans of the venerable television game show "The Price is Right," and Roddy stayed with the CBS program as long as his health permitted, host Bob Barker said Monday.

"The courage he showed during those difficult times was an inspiration to us all," Barker said.

The talk show host had reminisced just last week about a recent hospital visit he'd paid Roddy.

"I went to the hospital and sat on the edge of his bed and we laughed the whole time we were talking. He was still having fun," Barker recalled.

Roddy had taped his last show two months ago, shortly before entering the hospital.

He had undergone colon cancer surgery two years ago and breast cancer surgery earlier this year.

He had appeared to be keeping the disease at bay with chemotherapy treatments until recently, said his longtime agent, Don Pitts.

His illness had prompted the announcer to become a spokesman for early cancer detection.

"I could have prevented all this with a colonoscopy and, of course, that's the campaign I've been on since I had the first surgery," he said in a recent interview that was posted on CBS' Web site.

Breast cancer, although typically associated with women, is diagnosed in about 1,500 American men a year, Roddy said in that interview: "To everybody out there, 'Get a mammogram!' It can happen to men, too."

Roddy, whose full name was Robert Ray Roddy, was born Sept. 18, 1937, in Fort Worth, Texas, and was graduated from Texas Christian University before going on to become a popular disc jockey in his home state. He also worked in radio in Florida, Louisiana, Illinois and New York.

He found work in Los Angeles doing commercial voice-overs before breaking into television as the announcer for the popular 1970s show "Soap."

His announcing stints included "Love Connection" (1981-85) and "Press Your Luck" (1983-86), but "The Price is Right" earned him his greatest fame. He became known on the program for his booming, jovial voice and flashy attire.

"He was quite a character," Barker said. "He was important to the success of the show. He had the spirit of `The Price Is Right.' It's a fun show."

A private funeral service will be held in Texas, with a memorial service planned sometime later in Los Angeles.

Information on survivors was not available. Pitts said Roddy, who was single, never talked about his relatives except for his mother, who died several years ago.

Associated Press Writers Jeff Wilson and Lynn Elber in Los Angeles contributed to this report.

What a sad day. Although they will never read this, my condolences go out to his family
Old 28 Oct 2003, 10:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

Poor guy, sad to hear it.

I used to love that show and I do still watch it from time to time.

R.I.P Rod
Old 28 Oct 2003, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.
Send a message via MSN to Jason Send a message via Yahoo to Jason

Sad to hear,the new guy sucks

RIP Rod Roddy
Old 29 Oct 2003, 01:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Secret Agent

Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.Mr. Submission is a god damn rich cunt.

RIP

the Australian guy hasn't died... yet.
Old 29 Oct 2003, 01:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Kara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICK

that is a shame I was just commenting on him the other day
Old 29 Oct 2003, 06:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Sad to hear,the new guy sucks

RIP Rod Roddy
Your right. The new guy does suck.

RIP Rod
Old 29 Oct 2003, 11:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Moderator Of Good & Evil

Location: Walking upon high, as I step to the edge to see my world below..
The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

This sux...and I haer this new guy ain't that good..then again those are some pretty big shoes to fill..
Old 29 Oct 2003, 09:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Tom Hanks With-A the Aids

Forgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICKForgotten Sin is a STICK
Send a message via MSN to Forgotten Sin

What A Crappy year this is!

RIP ROD!

Old 30 Oct 2003, 09:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
I hate people

Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Toof Send a message via MSN to Toof Send a message via Yahoo to Toof

This Year sucks man. RIP Rod Roody