ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > ProWrestlingFans > Archives

Archives PWFans Forums Archives - Where all the old threads go...

has Rap gone pop?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Sep 2003, 02:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Kryptonite

Default has Rap gone pop?

Pop music means Popular Music right?

Turn on MTV...what do you see? 50 Cent, Eminem, P Diddy, Ja Rule, etc etc

MTV IS pop music , they wont play it if it isnt popluar.

Turn on the radio...hop over to your top 40 stations...
what do you hear? Eminem, 50 cent, P, Diddy, Ja Rule etc etc

No that isnt all they play but these artists are in heavy rotation

Doesnt that kinda take some of the ...credibility away from those rappers?
true not all rappers get featured on MTV constantly and not all are over played on the top 40 stations

but do you think rap in general has gone pop?

Old 07 Sep 2003, 03:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
....Bang

Dante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of Famer

Pop does indeed mean Popular and yes Rap seems more like Pop everyday but not because its popular buts it the small difference. Like R Kelly's song ignition now that didn't seem liek Rap or RnB to me, more like Pop Rap that's what I see it what's happening to rap music.

On a side note I'd like to bring up a quote from that Chick in Boomkat.

"I wouldn't know what you'd call our style of music, its a little bit of everything. I'll probably name the music we do, Popular Music"

Need I say more, Its seems everything seems to be turning Pop these days and people are certainly becoming stupider.
Old 07 Sep 2003, 03:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Kryptonite

50 Cent is quickly becoming a played out pop star

Old 07 Sep 2003, 03:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Kara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICK

yes you are 100 percent correct they are really trying to ruin rap by playing it out so that rap artists try and make more like it instead of what is really worth it they are going to start compromising their principles to be more popular
Old 07 Sep 2003, 05:17 AM   #5 (permalink)
....Bang

Dante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of FamerDante is a PWF Hall of Famer

And you all wonder why everybody hates POP music, except the kids, teenage girls and their no-taste-in-music Mothers.
Old 07 Sep 2003, 11:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
Give it To Me..

The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.
Send a message via AIM to The_One Send a message via MSN to The_One

Yeah,Rap is turning into pop..it's pretty sad..
Old 07 Sep 2003, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Moderator Of Good & Evil

Location: Walking upon high, as I step to the edge to see my world below..
The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Ideed it has...that why I prefer the more underground hip-hop...the REAL stuff.
Old 07 Sep 2003, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Don Killuminati

Slash will become famous soon enough

Rap hasn't turned to pop...Popular music and MTV came to rap...It's funny how MTV edited out 2Pac's verse in California Love when they played the 100 Greatest Videos of All-Time but then turn around and go make a movie about him with Afeni...

If you consider Eminem the epidemy of rap...Then you have no point in this thread...Eminem worships the ground MTV walks on...And vice verca... He is exactly what MTV likes...A safe rapper...He can pretend that he is all bad and what not...But at the end of the day...He won't be convicted of rape or murder...I don't see Noreaga and Scarface on TV everyday...Or C-Bo...To generalize rap as 50 Cent, Eminem and Ja-Rule is plain stupid...

TOWC: The Legend Continues

9 Times....
Old 08 Sep 2003, 03:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kryptonite

Quote:
Originally posted by SLASHHH
Rap hasn't turned to pop...Popular music and MTV came to rap...It's funny how MTV edited out 2Pac's verse in California Love when they played the 100 Greatest Videos of All-Time but then turn around and go make a movie about him with Afeni...

If you consider Eminem the epidemy of rap...Then you have no point in this thread...Eminem worships the ground MTV walks on...And vice verca... He is exactly what MTV likes...A safe rapper...He can pretend that he is all bad and what not...But at the end of the day...He won't be convicted of rape or murder...I don't see Noreaga and Scarface on TV everyday...Or C-Bo...To generalize rap as 50 Cent, Eminem and Ja-Rule is plain stupid...
but by pop and MTV coming to rap..doesnt that make it pop too?

I totally agree with you tho Slash... Eminem, Ja Rule, and 50 Cent aren't Rap Music...however when most of America says their favorite music is Rap, those are the guys they are thinking of.

Old 08 Sep 2003, 03:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Moderator Of Good & Evil

Location: Walking upon high, as I step to the edge to see my world below..
The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.The Wanderer , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

Like I said before, Underground is better. Ethier that or orignal old skool Rap. new cats like Eminem, Ja Rule, and 50 Cent aren't Rap Music....at all..just the current flovero of the month for the mainstream POP persona..
Old 08 Sep 2003, 04:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Don Killuminati

Quote:
Originally Posted By Kurt Angle
but by pop and MTV coming to rap..doesnt that make it pop too?

I totally agree with you tho Slash... Eminem, Ja Rule, and 50 Cent aren't Rap Music...however when most of America says their favorite music is Rap, those are the guys they are thinking of.
I see where you are comin' from...And I agree with most of what you are sayin'...It's like the Metallica argument...Did they sellout when they made the Black Album...Or did they just make a really fuckin' good record that people liked...When rap CD's sell over 600,000-1,000,000 copies...That's goin' out of the black communities and into pop's country club...When sales start to boom...Alot of white people are buyin' that 50 Cent record...I think mainstream music has turned into rap...Or an "urban" beat... But I don't necesarrily think rappers are makin' their music pop...When Chronic came out and made Death Row a player... No one said Dre and Row were pop....Alot of it had to do with image...But after Pac...It ain't cool to be walkin' around thugged to the fuckin' max...Because shit could get serious and I think alot of rappers are makin' "gangsta" rap but with a pop look...A la Ja Rule....

9 Times....
Old 08 Sep 2003, 05:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Heavyweight

Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.Jason is fat like a planet.
Send a message via MSN to Jason Send a message via Yahoo to Jason

Well since I happen to like Eminem and 50 Cent I'm not allowed in this thread so I should just be leaving....

But yes rap is turning into pop I do agree with that....
Old 08 Sep 2003, 06:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
I hate people

Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Toof Send a message via MSN to Toof Send a message via Yahoo to Toof

I am going with wanderer on this one. Underground for me. And reaggaeton as well.
Old 08 Sep 2003, 07:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
Kryptonite

Quote:
Originally posted by SLASHHH
I see where you are comin' from...And I agree with most of what you are sayin'...It's like the Metallica argument...Did they sellout when they made the Black Album...Or did they just make a really fuckin' good record that people liked...When rap CD's sell over 600,000-1,000,000 copies...That's goin' out of the black communities and into pop's country club...When sales start to boom...Alot of white people are buyin' that 50 Cent record...I think mainstream music has turned into rap...Or an "urban" beat... But I don't necesarrily think rappers are makin' their music pop...When Chronic came out and made Death Row a player... No one said Dre and Row were pop....Alot of it had to do with image...But after Pac...It ain't cool to be walkin' around thugged to the fuckin' max...Because shit could get serious and I think alot of rappers are makin' "gangsta" rap but with a pop look...A la Ja Rule....
back in the days of Dre and Death Row rap still wasnt as big. it took Eminem to make it REALLY big. It brought serious attention from record labels. Somewhere a bunch of suit wearing idiots said "Hey this guy's selling records and we can sell this"
back when Dre and Cube and Pac were all rapping, they weren't as big on MTV, they weren't on heavy rotation on your Top 40 radio...they were delivering beats, they were more "real".

Now established POP acts are working rap into their manufactured crap. Seriously ..look at Justin Timberlake...

Pop Music is turning more Urban...Rap Music is turning more Pop
its reaching a middle ground that I am increasingly uncomfortable with.

I don't care for all the pop rappers like Em, 50, Ja Rule, Jay Z etc

Maybe its time for a seperation of the genre
maybe the record stores need a "Real" Rap and a "Pop" Rap section
I don't like the idea of Tupac sitting on the same shelf with Nelly

Old 08 Sep 2003, 08:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
The Don Killuminati

Well...That's where the boundaries of rap and pop mix... Eminem...A white safe rapper...A white safe rapper that MTV could promote the shit out of and never have any reprocusions... Why the fuck would Eminem have a skit with a puppet on the MTV Awards and the next day we all laugh about it...Where as Pac went to the MTV Awards in '96 and the next day he got shot...Right there is the difference...Eminem brought pop into the rap world...He made it OK for pop to walk into rap...He has that look...The look suburban kids love...That, "I'm dangerous but don't worry it just a look" attitude is really a front...Anyone who can't see that is blind...So I don't consider rap to be turnin' into pop... Just pop bithes singin' like they're rappers and people misconstrudin' that message...

9 Times....