ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > ProWrestlingFans > Archives

Archives PWFans Forums Archives - Where all the old threads go...

HERE IS YOUR NEWSBREAK: One Dies, 10 Injured On Disneyland Roller Coaster Ride

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2003, 06:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
A-Boooooooo~!

Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.
Send a message via MSN to Trevelbond
Default DISNEYLAND CATASTROPHE UPDATE: WHAT, WHY, AND THE LIE!!!!!!!!

Trevelbonds edit: Check below for the full confirmed Miceage.com story!!!!!

This is scary stuff

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One Dies, 10 Injured On Disneyland Roller Coaster Ride
Police Investigate Park Fatality

POSTED: 12:29 p.m. PDT September 5, 2003
UPDATED: 2:31 p.m. PDT September 5, 2003

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- A locomotive broke loose from a train on Disneyland's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad roller coaster attraction Friday, killing a man and injuring 10 other riders, officials said.

The man died inside the ride and his body remained there for the investigation, said city spokesman John Nicoletti. No information about his identity was immediately released.

The injured ranged in ages from 9 to 47, he said. One had moderate injuries and the other cases were considered minor. Six were taken to the University of California Irvine Medical Center, two were taken to Western Medical Center and two were treated at the scene and released.

"On behalf of the entire cast of the Disneyland Resort we are shocked and saddened," said Cynthia Harris, president of Disneyland Resort.

The accident occurred inside a tunnel section of the ride, said police Sgt. Rick Martinez. What exactly happened was not known.

"At this point it appears to be a tragic accident," Martinez said.

The ride is designed to look like an old-fashion locomotive pulling cars, which can hold as many as 32 people. The ride operator is not aboard the train.

The accident was reported at 11:22 a.m., and firefighters arrived in two minutes, officials said.

The roller coaster takes amusement park visitors on a twisting, turning ride aboard what is supposed to be a runaway train in the Old West. Riders zoom through mineshafts and caverns, past falling rocks and tumbling waterfalls.

The ride is computer operated, said Joe Aguirre, a park spokesman. It opened in 1979 and is newer than the Space Mountain attraction, which opened in 1977, and Matterhorn Bobsleds, which debuted in 1959.

Anaheim fire and police and Disneyland officials reported to the scene to investigate.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was just there last month, scary stuff. I'll post pictures as they become available.

-Trevelbond-

Last edited by Trevelbond; 06 Sep 2003 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05 Sep 2003, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Damn. Now next time I go on a coaster i'm going to be thinking about this. Thanks alot. j/k
Old 05 Sep 2003, 06:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

Damn, I'm going there in 2 weeks...

Hope I don't get hurt

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 05 Sep 2003, 06:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Hanh!

Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.Side Effect is Jeff Goldblum's first spoken line on film.

wow, my thoughts & prayers go out to the families
Old 05 Sep 2003, 06:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Kara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICK

Quote:
Originally posted by XDS
Damn, I'm going there in 2 weeks...

Hope I don't get hurt

I hope so too crosses fingers
Old 05 Sep 2003, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
A-Boooooooo~!

Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.Trevelbond is Paul R Nelson.

I'm sorry Exo but I'm a bit of a Disneyland expert and thats not a good time to go.
Here's why:
Closed Rides:
Big Thunder Mountain (Duh)
Space Mountain through 2005
Splash Mountain: September 2 - November 6
Tarzan's Treehouse: September 8 - 10
Sailing Ship Columbia: September 8 - 12
Haunted Mansion: September 8 - October 2, for the installation of the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay

-Trevelbond-
Old 05 Sep 2003, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

^thx for the update Trevel

Quote:
Originally posted by Wyk3d yN
I hope so too crosses fingers
And I know how you really feel about me. If anything happened you'd be heartbroken for 20 years. You should be nicer while I'm here. See you on Mon wlsweetie.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 05 Sep 2003, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Kara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICKKara is a STICK

Quote:
Originally posted by XDS
^thx for the update Trevel

And I know how you really feel about me. If anything happened you'd be heartbroken for 20 years. You should be nicer while I'm here. See you on Mon wlsweetie.

Im serious I wouldnt want anybody from here that I have gotten to know injured
Old 05 Sep 2003, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Give it To Me..

The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.The_One should go home and get his fuckin' shinebox.
Send a message via AIM to The_One Send a message via MSN to The_One

this is scary..
Old 05 Sep 2003, 07:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

error402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to beholderror402 is a splendid one to behold

Woah shit, that's bad news.

I wonder what kind of effect this is going to have on them in the future.
Old 05 Sep 2003, 09:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
R.I.P. Heath

Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.Stephie is a god damn rich cunt.
Send a message via MSN to Stephie

I am going to this theme park here tommorow. Thanks alot guys!

Old 06 Sep 2003, 12:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
A-Boooooooo~!

Default WHAT WHY AND THE LIE!!!!!!

BELOW Is AL LUTZ' Miceage.com article on what happened on Big Thunder Mountain Yesterday!!!

The Big Thunder Accident: What
As you may all have heard by now, there was an accident at Big Thunder Mountain, killing Marcello Torres, 22, of Gardena, and injuring ten other riders, one of which, Vicente Gutierrez, a 22-year-old from Wilmington suffered facial cuts and chest injuries, including possible broken ribs. Six were taken to UCI Medical, two to Western Medical, and two were treated at the scene and released. The injured included two boys ages 9 and 15, two men ages 20 and 47, and four women ages 19, 21, 37 and 47. According to the Orange County Register, "Anaheim firefighters arrived within two minutes of receiving the call about the accident at 11:22 a.m. Four Anaheim paramedic units and two Disney rescue units also went to the scene. [The accident] is being investigated by Anaheim police and the California Occupational Safety and Health Administration."
The L.A. Times had the following to add to the above: "Moments after the accident, riders clambered from the cars and agitated park guests ran out, calling for help. "Someone is hurt bad. It's really serious. Get someone up here," cried two young men running from the site of the accident, said John and Laurie Whims of Seattle, who were waiting at the head of the line to take the next train. Authorities said passengers were trapped in the cavern for up to an hour before Anaheim firefighters and paramedics could get them out." Mr. Gutierrez did not live beyond the initial accident. The ride has some video monitors aimed on the track, but not in all areas and apparently not within the actual tunnel where this happened.
The trains can carry up to 32 people, and are pretty much made of fiberglass. The ride was built in 1979, normally lasts 3 minutes, 15 seconds and travels at an average speed of 23 miles an hour. The Train "engine" car is a non-working cosmetic, it does not generate any power of its own to either pull or push the ride vehicles. John Nicoletti, an Anaheim city spokesman, said the passenger cars broke free of the "engine," which was found derailed at the top of an incline. The cars were said to be at the bottom of the grade, about 20 or so feet from the engine.

Here is some additional information that has come my way from various sources. The tunnel this happened in is the dark one where the train enters after passing by a coyote animatronic and a few hanging possums. The train enters this tunnel after a sharp dip and then makes a quick turn to the right, whereupon it exits outside briefly just before making a sharp left and entering the final tunnel of the ride, where the gold mine effect is located.
At about 11:22 a.m. the ride E-stopped (Emergency Stopped) and cast members accounted for all trains except one. After a lot of confusion riders in the crashed car then began exiting the tunnel after removing themselves from their wrecked train. (This made it difficult to account for exactly how many passengers were actually on the train.) Apparently the "engine" had somewhat disintegrated during the sharp curve in the tunnel, and it appears that the first passenger vehicle behind it rammed in underneath it injuring the two riders in the first seat as its fiberglass shell disintegrated. It may well have been this impact that slammed the "engine" on down the track. Lap bars were found down and locked in place on all the passengers, including the two most badly injured in front.
After the accident the City of Anaheim and CALOSHA took over the investigation and Disney personnel were not allowed back into the tunnel. As of late Friday night Disney personnel were still not allowed back in. Cast members who were involved with the incident were gathered up by the park and moved to the Team Disney Anaheim building out back, where doorways to the rooms they were in were guarded by Disney personnel. It was unclear who was speaking to them and whether they represented the Disney Company, the City of Anaheim or CALOSHA.
Most of the emergency vehicles accessed the park back by Big Thunder Trail, where they treated the injured out on the walkway as this was the closest point to the accident location. Mr. Gutierrez (the deceased) remained in the tunnel (it was not clear if he was left on the vehicle) until the Coroner removed his body later on. Disneyland continued its normal operation Friday and closed at its usual time, Frontierland was closed right after the accident and remained closed the rest of the day. Access points were blocked off from the hub, from Fantasyland at the Big Thunder Trail entry point, and from where Adventureland segues into New Orleans Square. Tom Sawyer Island, the rafts and the Mark Twain were also shuttered.

Right now park insiders expect the ride to be closed for up to, and very possibly beyond, a year. This will be in addition to Space Mountain's current multi-year closure, Splash Mountain going down, and the upcoming closures for Haunted Mansion and small world for their holiday makeovers. Basically this leaves only the Matterhorn open during this larger than normal rehab time. There may be changes in all this due to the accident.
Tokyo Disneyland announced early Saturday they would shutter their Big Thunder ride until Disneyland in Anaheim had a solution to the accident. There was no information available about Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney World closing their versions of Big Thunder.
The Big Thunder Accident: Why
Unlike accidents the park has had in the almost 40 some odd years since it first opened, this is now the third serious accident in about ten years that cannot be attributed to rider actions.
Like the July 31st, 2000 Space Mountain incident where nine people were injured when a wheel assembly broke on one of the cars and derailed it, and the December 24th, 1998 death of Luan Phi Dawson 33, of Duvall, Wash. (who was killed when a 9-pound metal cleat ripped from sailing ship Columbia which hit him in the head as it also shattered his wife's face, while cast member Christine Carpenter was also injured), this accident was a result of a failure of a system that then injured or killed the riders.
Many involved and intimately familiar with Disneyland's maintenance and operations departments feel quite strongly this change in type of incidents has come about due to major changes in policies that began at the time Paul Pressler took over operation of the park, and have continued with current head Cynthia Harriss under the guidance of T. Irby. They note that these maintenance and operations changes have been unique to Disneyland and were for the most part not implemented at Walt Disney World.

Many of these same sources also note that Disneyland's ability to properly maintain and operate their sophisticated attractions has suffered as these departments were stretched and not expanded to also take care of the recently added California Adventure park. Both park's attractions are now maintained by a slightly smaller staff than what used to only handle Disneyland. There are also problems with this same crew also taking on expanded paperwork, to report and document their actions to both the Walt Disney Company and the State of California which has passed recent laws requiring it.
The Disneyland Resort was supposed to report a profit this year of about $60 million. That profit has not materialized due to failures of the new California Adventure park to draw in visitors, the huge expenses involved in many promotions and additions for it, and also a huge increase in Workman's Comp costs that many California business are also suffering at this time. This lack of a profit has made for increased economies in the Disneyland Resort's budget, making for a distinct lack of park upkeep, staffing and maintenance which has been documented in the past on this site.
As was discussed with a few sources, many feel that this stretched state of maintenance will not be investigated. It is felt that instead, those who last signed the inspection reports on the Big Thunder trains will be terminated.
It was discussed that a crew of six machinists properly supported, could keep Big Thunder running in a safe condition, as it was run since it was built. It was suggested that the recent changes are forcing a lack of attention to detail on repairs. As reports must be completed before the ride can be released to the operators, they become the priority. Doing actual repairs is secondary to finishing the paperwork, although that is also to be fully completed. It was felt that this was not possible, especially on a third shift schedule, for staff to remain sharp enough mentally to do an adequate job on all these tasks. It was also felt that now that inspectors are involved, awaiting their arrival to check and sign off their work also slows things down, forcing a rush to complete that work. As it continues this way, it becomes more and more likely that something could be overlooked.
Many also felt that the management teams responsible for upkeep are also now reactive and not proactive when it comes to ride upkeep. They cite the recent emergency closure of Space Mountain as an example of something that was allowed to break down before it was shuttered, as opposed to taking action before something serious could have happened.
The people I spoke with hope parks head Jay Rasulo finds it necessary to change how things are currently run and replace the current Team Disney Anaheim staff with people who understand just how to manage a theme park maintenance division. These same sources point to the record the park had before these changes took place and suggest the blame for these recent injuries and deaths should be placed squarely on the current resort leadership's shoulders. They strongly suggest that past policies of ride operation, upkeep and maintenance be returned to, and that the budgetary process which has prompted changes for the worse be reconsidered to make ride safety the primary consideration yet again.
It could well be that due to the specific nature of this accident, that the proper focus is finally placed on management in charge and the current changes in polices, and that blame will not be shuffled off to cast members who were operating the attraction. In the past it has been noted that the company seems to try and place blame on staffing itself as opposed to the policies it puts in place. It was also noted by a few of the sources that since the 1998 Columbia death good changes have been made by the authorities, and the park is now more open about what had happened in these kinds of events. Accidents can be investigated as they should be.

The Big Thunder Accident: A Lie
Many in the media who attended the press conferences Disney held about the accident were impressed by Michael Eisner's appearance at the late afternoon one along with Jay Rasulo. Eisner made a big point of saying in his opening remarks he had especially come down to Disneyland that day to reassure the cast members and the families of the injured and killed during this trying time. He got live coverage on KABC7 here saying that, and his statements were probably sent on out on a feed to other stations across the nation.
Unfortunately Michael Eisner was lying.
Cast members who were on their toes knowing he was at the resort were shocked by his statements. They also felt demeaned when he stated he "was there to reassure" them and the families of the victims.
It turns out that Eisner had already been checked into the Grand Californian Hotel, and was at the Disneyland Resort to be a major part of the ABC Prime Time Weekend promotion at the California Adventure park. He already had in place a busy schedule of meetings with talent, advertisers and network honchos planned for the whole day, continuing on though the weekend.
This lie makes one want to question everything he says.
How disingenuous of him to use this tragedy to promote himself.
What does it show us about Michael Eisner's character?
By the way, there was no word yet if Disney would still continue with filming the casts of the various ABC shows being promoted riding the Screamin' coaster at California Adventure. Cameras were in place on the vehicles Saturday morning, to tape them for upcoming promos.
It may be in very poor taste now to do that in light of Friday's events.

In the words of Jim Ross: OH MAH GAWD!!!!!!
Old 06 Sep 2003, 02:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Sick in the head

Dick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of FamerDick Biggs is a PWF Hall of Famer
Send a message via MSN to Dick Biggs

bah......it was set up by an angry employee....he wanted to spill the blood of the innocent..... good job on his part....lol