ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > ProWrestlingFans > Archives

Archives PWFans Forums Archives - Where all the old threads go...

Can movies ever beat them?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 May 2003, 05:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Xer
minty fresh

Xer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow posters
Default Can movies ever beat them?

I am of course talking about books..or more specifically movies that are based on books,the list is long and there have been many interp's of movies from books..but my question is can the movie ever be better than the book it was based on?
Old 22 May 2003, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

sure the movie can be better, lot's of times.

Gone with the Wind
Apocolypse Now
Christine

There's lots more, I just don't the names of many movies.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 22 May 2003, 06:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Xer
minty fresh

Xer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow postersXer is a GODLY GOD among the lowbrow posters

Quote:
XDS said in post # :
sure the movie can be better, lot's of times.

Sorry Exo but i'm going to have to totally disagree with you there.Never in my life have I seen a movie and got more out of it than when I read the book that it was based on.People will argue that it's simply easier to watch the movie than read the book,well that's true..it is easier to sit there aimlessly and stare at the screen rather than picking up the source material and reading it.But think about it..when you pick up The Lord of the Rings and read about Frodo,you're not following someones interp and thinking about Elijah Wood.When you read about Michael Corleone in The Godfather,I'm not picturing Al Pacino,I have my own unique perspective on the character.When I read Apocalypse Now I'm not envisioning Marlon Brando.With a book how good the story is is up to your own imagination,a celluoid transfer of someone else's vision can NEVER compare to the strength of your own mind..when you watch a film you see how Fincher,Coppola or who have you saw the book..with your own mind your system of thought makes aspects of the story unique to you and you alone..for that reason I say that movie's can never or will ever be able to live up to the original transcript.
Old 22 May 2003, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

Nonsense. You can read tolkiens descriptions of the characters, places and events, but when you first see the landscape of hobbiton, or the visual impact of the monsters and spellcasting, you get a better sense of what is being described. It's instantanious. there's no need to say anything. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I personally am not even a big fan of movies, well at least going to them sucks, But for example, I saw Trainspotting and I read the book. I didn't particularly feel the book was any better than the movie. A different experience yes, but not a thing where one is better than the other.

The one thing that movies will never do right, is videogames.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 22 May 2003, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Xer
minty fresh

Quote:
XDS said in post # :
Nonsense. You can read tolkiens descriptions of the characters, places and events, but when you first see the landscape of hobbiton, or the visual impact of the monsters and spellcasting, you get a better sense of what is being described. It's instantanious. there's no need to say anything. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I personally am not even a big fan of movies, well at least going to them sucks, But for example, I saw Trainspotting and I read the book. I didn't particularly feel the book was any better than the movie. A different experience yes, but not a thing where one is better than the other.

The one thing that movies will never do right, is videogames.
Bah then you aren't using your imagination to it's full potential.And I can't say I believe that a picture is worth a thousand words..otherwise I'd have a banner by now! You can't paint what's in my sig,and you can't repeat what the individual see's and gets from a book over a film..can't be done.
Old 22 May 2003, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

I have imagination. I even went to art school.

But you can't deny the power of a visual medium.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 22 May 2003, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Xer
minty fresh

Quote:
XDS said in post # :
I have imagination. I even went to art school.

But you can't deny the power of a visual medium.
Well then you can't enjoy reading as much as leering at the google box.I am by no means making any downgrade to aesthetic practice or movies for that matter,I deal with movies every single day of my life so there's no way I can deny their piece in the artform idea,however I am saying that one vision (hell even remakes) cannot sustain what the imagination can,no one makes it a point to show you what a character in a book looks like..they can naturally give the basic description in order for you to pick up on the general idea of what they look like,but as an example..you read Fight Club before the movie was ever made and there is no way you envision the narrator as Ed Norton or Brad Pitt as Tyler Durden..in fact you do not make simplistic comparisons to anyone that exists..you create the image in your head,as with how you view all situations in reading as opposed to watching,movies based upon writing of a script take always and ever an objective point of view..your mind won't if you read about the same issue before visual complacement ever gets in your way..because the visual aspect comes from your mind and not what you pick up with you eyes..you will always get more out of a book than you would a film,that is if you have the patience to actually read one of course as opposed to the quick option of the movie.
Old 23 May 2003, 01:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Then to reverse the question. Can a book based on a movie compare? There is a starwars book. How can you convey the impression of Darth Vader, or a light saber fight, or a massive space battle??? It's not the same. there's something very powerfull about seeing things on a larger than life scale. Things you can't even begin to imagine suddenly swirling about you. Being immersed in something that attacks your senses on all fronts. Well, most of them anyway. Books may be open to interpretation, but a movie is what it is.

What about BladeRunner?

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 23 May 2003, 09:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
punished by Exo indefinitely for trying to stalk and for being a dork

Fallen Angel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Fallen Angel Send a message via Yahoo to Fallen Angel

Rarely... if ever, because a book sets the tone for individual goals, and when a movie is based on a book, it always will deteriorate with unlimited vision, so it will never live to all expectations, because a conlfict is created through each medium of interest, either set too high for the timid, or too low for the ambitious...

and Hollywood is sometimes too bland, or conforming to appease either taste, often appearing desperate or just boring.

so no, I rather read a book at my own leisure and imaginative goal, then watch anothers sometimes 'weak' interpretation.
~"The earth is full of kings and queens. They'll blind your eyes and steal your dreams. Kurt Cobain didn't make it... and left behind a generation of tortured souls. heed this warning."~
<center>
<select name=which style="font-family: tahoma; font-size: 9pt; background-color: black; font-weight: ; color: darkblue">
<option>Nirvana - Heart-Shaped Box</option>
<option></option>
<option>She eyes me like a pisces when I am weak</option>
<option>I've been locked inside your Heart Shaped box for a week</option>
<option>I was drawn into your magnet tar pit trap</option>
<option>I wish I could eat your cancer when you turn back</option>
<option></option>
<option>Hey!</option>
<option>Wait!</option>
<option></option>
<option>I've got a new complaint</option>
<option>Forever in debt to your priceless advice</option>
<option></option>
<option>(Hate)</option>
<option>(Weight)</option>
<option></option>
<option></option>
<option>Hey!</option>
<option>Wait!</option>
<option></option>
<option>Meat-eating orchids forgive no one just yet</option>
<option>Cut myself angel's hair and baby's breath</option>
<option>Broken hymen of your highness I'm left black</option>
<option>Throw down your umbilical noose so I can climb right back -</option>
</select>

<center>

<center>I am now complete

Old 23 May 2003, 12:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Xer
minty fresh

Quote:
XDS said in post # :
Then to reverse the question. Can a book based on a movie compare? There is a starwars book. How can you convey the impression of Darth Vader, or a light saber fight, or a massive space battle??? It's not the same. there's something very powerfull about seeing things on a larger than life scale. Things you can't even begin to imagine suddenly swirling about you. Being immersed in something that attacks your senses on all fronts. Well, most of them anyway. Books may be open to interpretation, but a movie is what it is.

What about BladeRunner?
What about Blade Runner?

I won't deny that it's one of my favorite movies or that Ridley Scott's vision was unique and compelling enough to watch over and over again,this movie was a major feature in my semiotics portion of my class but as good and renouned as it is,can you honestly say that it can compare to Do Androids dream of electric sheep? Point again is that a movie will fail where the book is open to many forms of interp..the movie may well be layered and have consistent altered ideas when people watch it but in looking at this film so much,you scratch away surface theory and understand all the aspects clearly..then the point of view is defined..thus subject to one perception..that of Ridley Scott..read the book and you can take it anyway which way you like..so Blade Runner as good as it is can't compare to that nutball Phillip K Dick either in my view.
Old 24 May 2003, 03:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Natural

Mike C is on a distinguished road

I thought 25th Hour was comparable in terms of the movie to the book, probably mostly caused by the fact the writer of the book wrote the screenplay so he left out the scenes that were least important... I thought they were pretty equal, which is as close as I've come to a movie beating a book.