ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > ProWrestlingFans > Archives

Archives PWFans Forums Archives - Where all the old threads go...

Creative Writing...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Mar 2003, 10:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
n/a
Heavyweight

n/a is on a distinguished road
Default Creative Writing...

Well, most like writing fan fiction stories. I like to write creatively other then writing wrestling fiction.

I love to do screenplays, in fact I make it a job.

So I will pass off someone advice for screenplay fans.

I will give a daily fact idea.

Fact Idea:

I will give help on a certain part of screenplay daily.

The Fact Idea will be based on formatting your screenplay. I also will be posting screenplays for help and examples.

Fact Idea on Formatting: March 24, 2003

Figuring out how to format a script correctly can stall many writers before they ever type their first FADE IN: (or, in most cases, never type FADE IN: - this element is no longer commonly used).

To write this article, we spoke with screenwriters, teachers, professional readers, software companies, and screenwriting festival judges. We read some excellent books such as The Screenwriters Bible, Elements of Style for Screenwriters, and The Cole and Haag series. Hereís the secret to a properly formatted script:

There is no 100% absolutely correct way to format a script!

That's right. Despite the rants and ravings of a few, there is no one way that a script must be written. This flexibility doesn't mean that you can submit a script in Red, Bookman, 14 pt. Font that is all Right Justified. There are some rules which you must adhere. But, by and large, if your script looks properly formatted, few readers are going to pull out their ruler to make sure that every margin on each page is exactly right.

Begin by reading several scripts that were made into movies. Try to find spec scripts before they became shootings scripts. (Shooting scripts typically have the scenes numbered and might have other studio/director markings.) Do you notice how every spec script DOESN'T look exactly the same? But each looks consistent, and easy to read and follow. As you read the script, notice how its easy to follow. There is lots of white space; and sluglines, action lines, character, and dialogue lines are clearly marked.

Most software programs allow you to "fudge" your formatting by squeezing in a few more lines here and there, adding a few pixels of space between your lines, or letting you change the styles to our own format. The key is that your script shouldn't look completely out of place.

The average 120-page script uses a particular screenwriting element (Slugline, Dialogue, Character, [MORE), (CONTINUED), etc.) 700 - 1500 times. Its the sheer volume of formatting that makes a software program so handy - you can think about your story and not about the number of times to hit the space bar.

One of the common mistakes of a beginning screenwriter is the lack of white space. Itís almost as if he or she has discovered a toolbox and is determined to use every tool at least three times. Action lines become two or three paragraphs. Witty one-liners become a two-page monologue. Characters donít speak, they (hurriedly) or (lazily) speak or JUMP at the sound of anotherís voice. A well-written script doesnít need extensive direction from the writer. If your script is well-written with appropriate dialogue and explanation, the actors, readers, and directors donít need further direction.

Remember that many readers, agents, and festival judges arenít just reading your script. Theyíre reading your script alongside a dozen others. You have to make their job easier by writing an easy-to-read and easy-to-follow script.

I suggest the books The Screenwriters Bible or the Elements of Style for Screenwriters as an easy way to learn all the details of formatting a script. There are also lots of websites that have FREE Scripts to view on-line or to download. Remember that each computer often formats an incoming article or script differently; unless you have a physical script or are using a program like Adobe Acrobat Reader any script you download off the internet will most likely not be correct.