ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum

Go Back   ProWrestling Fans WWE TNA Forum > ProWrestlingFans > Archives

Archives PWFans Forums Archives - Where all the old threads go...

The Napster Debate....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jan 2003, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Don Killuminati

Slash will become famous soon enough
Default The Napster Debate....

Sorry for the old analogy....As Napster is nothing but an old memory....But my question is....Is downloading/sharing music from musicians right.....Is it moral...In a sense is it not stealing....They have created something that is their own and we freely take it at will....Should we not then be able to watch sports for free.....What is your stance on all this....

My opinion....I can see why fans scoff at bands like Metallica....Feeling bitterness to the fact Metallica tried to stop them from being able to download music....But then again....I can see why Metallica did what they did....As for new up-coming artists....They need the record sales...It will make or break them....And for me.... File-sharing programs give me the ability to download videos and sudio I would not be able to get at a music store....

What is your opinion on this

TOWC: The Legend Continues

9 Times....
Old 07 Jan 2003, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Psycho in my own mind...

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
STICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DCSTICK You want to be like DC

Well, Metallica went after Napster because they turned into trash, and their record sales weren't doing good, so they used Napster as a scapegoat. They weren't making money through their poor albums, so they had to find a different way to generate cashflow, which was going after Napster, and trying to sue them.

As for downloading music, I don't care if it's right or wrong, I'm getting free music and burning my own albums rather than paying an arm and a leg for a little piece of plastic. Some stores charge like 16 or 17 bucks, even more sometimes, and then not expect people to download music for free? Come on.
Old 07 Jan 2003, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

You should post this in entertainment

I think it's good to trade and share music. The only people it's hurting are the record execs since they make most of the money off of sales. Artists make most money on publishing rights, concerts and airplay. A band gets like 10 cents for every cd sold. It's really sad how much the industry is ripping them off. I guess that's why the execs are the one's who are most worried about this. Give the music to the fans and they'll find the artists they like.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 07 Jan 2003, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

CoolioMcawesome is on a distinguished road

One positive thing that file sharing has done for the record business is eliminates the need to buy a record for one song. How many people here have been tricked into buying an album based on one solid single but then found out the rest of the record sucks? That doesn't ever need to happen again. Artists can no longer make records that consist of a few good songs and a bunch of filler. When I first heard "Control" by Puddle of Mudd, I immediately searched for other songs of theirs. After downloading songs like "Blurry" and "Drift and Die" it became apparent that their album was extremely solid so I bought it. And as far as emerging artists, programs like Napster give them a way of getting their music out to literaly millions of people. It is extremely hard to get any radio play at all, and music videos are extremely expensive to produce. Unless you have a backing of a major record label, then there is really no better way for a new band to get name recognition than from a file sharing program. One final point: Although record sales are down a little from last year, concert revenue was way up. The days of the recording industry are fading out and the time for musicians and performers is upon us. Artists may not be making as much money off their albums, but they can more than make up for it by touring and doing live shows. This is a good thing.
Old 07 Jan 2003, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
I hate people

Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Toof Send a message via MSN to Toof Send a message via Yahoo to Toof

The file sharing issue started with Dre and Metalica. Metalica started whinning about it cause they were on the bottom of the barrel and wanted some media atention. I don't why Dre started BSing about it. I think Dre turned into a hypocrite that time cause he preached about killing cops and smoking pot and then he started bitching cause people were listening to his music on MP3 and he wanted a cut. Then the RIAA (Record Industry Asociation of America) and her bitch CEO started whinning about it too.

I read the copyright law and as far as I understood the law there is no crime comitted by an user IF that person does not make a profit out of copying and downloading sings on Mp3.

The Napster and Audiogalaxy issue was a attempt of the record companies to keep their monopoly of the market. I mean guys who is paying 20 dollars on a damn CD that has only ONE damn good song
Old 07 Jan 2003, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
You WILL Be Regulated....

Mr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-ableMr. Marbles is totally BABLAM-able

Quote:
Originally posted by manyuca
The file sharing issue started with Dre and Metalica. Metalica started whinning about it cause they were on the bottom of the barrel and wanted some media atention. I don't why Dre started BSing about it. I think Dre turned into a hypocrite that time cause he preached about killing cops and smoking pot and then he started bitching cause people were listening to his music on MP3 and he wanted a cut. Then the RIAA (Record Industry Asociation of America) and her bitch CEO started whinning about it too.

I read the copyright law and as far as I understood the law there is no crime comitted by an user IF that person does not make a profit out of copying and downloading sings on Mp3.

The Napster and Audiogalaxy issue was a attempt of the record companies to keep their monopoly of the market. I mean guys who is paying 20 dollars on a damn CD that has only ONE damn good song

It's all so true.
Marbles is what all you wannabees want to be. he is who you think about when you touch yoursleves at night. He is the person you think about everyone someone says, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" Hes the person your girlfriend thinks about when youre inside her, and hes the one your parents really wanted. His dick is the one your dick looks up to. He is the marbleous one. The one that YOU ALL WANT TO BE
Old 07 Jan 2003, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Orphaned.

SodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of FamerSodaGirl is a PWF Hall of Famer

I personally love that I can download music, but it doesn't effect my CD purchases. If I like a group I will still buy their CD. I download when it's something I never would have paid for...Like just a single or something.

...This may change after I get a decent connection, but as of now, they still get just as much of my money as they ever did.
Old 07 Jan 2003, 10:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
I hate people

Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.Toof , if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.
Send a message via AIM to Toof Send a message via MSN to Toof Send a message via Yahoo to Toof

And thats not all. Aparently Metalica and Dre had a list of over 200,000 users who downloaded their songs and wanted to sue those 200,000 users for using their songs without their concern. WTF is that shit?

This further created a bigger controversy cause some people specially the RIAA fans (dumb fucks) praised their actions and most of the people we asking "Why they wanna do that for?" I'll tell you. Because they wanted money on their pockets so they could still live in style. Like charging us an arm and a leg for a CD isn't enought. They say they wanted to teach a lesson but I say they just want more money and on top of all they STILL want people to buy their music. Geez like let me take all your money but I still want you to buy my music and my posters and my shirts and my caps.

Thie file sharing issue was based on only one thing........ MONEY!
Old 08 Jan 2003, 12:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

Exo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DCExo You want to be like DC

You know I never understood why this is such a big deal, but anyone can record anything they want onto a tape and no one ever bitched about that.

Plus mp3 quality is never going to be as good as cd quality so for me I can download enough music to make a decision on who I want to buy before I get fucked out of more money.

Metallica is just a bunch of corporate spokesmen for RIAA. I bet they got plenty of money out of this. What a bunch of losers. What happened to those guys. They used to be something good.

Manyuca, rock on.

Click to subscribe to the podcast feed or Download Episode 33 and give your feedback in the KPWF room.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 08 Jan 2003, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
I hate people

The people from Metalica are a bunch of hypocrites too along with Dr. Dre

They preached that being BAD is GOOD but when their own monetary interest were affected and their popularity went down the drain they joined RIAA to get media attention and get a bg amount of money out of this. Madonna and Britney Spears the so called "virgin" two blonde bitches that wanted to join on the cake but then they left the bandwagon so they won't loose any popularity like what happened to Metalica.
Old 08 Jan 2003, 01:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

They should change their name to "Money-tallica"

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 08 Jan 2003, 01:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

Fuck everyone who says its all Metallica' fault. If they didn't say something then another band would of. It just turns out that they were the first ones to complain.
Old 08 Jan 2003, 01:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Exo
Now, even sexier!

and complain the loudest...

but you're right. it's not metalicas fault. they were just the puppets. someone had to take the heat.

DEV INTERVIEW IS POSTED!

Old 08 Jan 2003, 02:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Let It Roll

Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.Rebel should cut his own throat and bleed to death.

and just so people don't get all mad when I way 'fuck everyone' its not really in a hatefull way.
Old 08 Jan 2003, 03:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
I hate people

Metalca is simply a pawn. RIAA controlled them and promised them a goo amount of money for helping them take down Napster and they were stupid enough to take the bait. Now look at them nobody has heard from them in a while and their last Cd sucked. I liked some CDs from metalica but it simply disappointed me when they showed up their true colors.